diy solar

diy solar

12v series connect not supported?

Diemjoe

I am wondering why some Lithium battery manufacturers support series connecting their batteries and others don't. I found this out the hard way with an mpp solar and 2 12v big batteries.

Thanks. That's a reason I can get my head around. Others do it so I am wondering what the decision factor is.

cheap BMS vs. not as cheap BMS.

Limit risk due to most end users failing to properly deploy a 24, 36 or 48V battery using a 12V series string. Few folks realize that they need to fully charge each 12V individually and then in parallel before deploying into a series string.

I think this is the reason. yet any one BMS mosfets will only see one battery IE 12v so I can't really see how it matters.
In parallel that would be true. But in series, each BMS will see the full system voltage.

In parallel that would be true. But in series, each BMS will see the full system voltage.
no.. I you have 4 12v bms and you log into the BMS on each battery you will see ~13v... the only reference the BMS to positive is the balance leads..

no.. I you have 4 12v bms and you log into the BMS on each battery you will see ~13v... the only reference the BMS to positive is the balance leads..
The BMS only reports for itself.
But the full system voltage must flow through it.

When things are working, each BMS sees its own voltage. In a series circuit (4 batteries and a load), each battery shows 12V and the load sees 48V. Now if you put a switch into the circuit and open it, then the load will see 0V. You can measure 48V across the switch. Same is true for a BMS that opens, the full voltage is across that battery.

When things are working, each BMS sees its own voltage. In a series circuit (4 batteries and a load), each battery shows 12V and the load sees 48V. Now if you put a switch into the circuit and open it, then the load will see 0V. You can measure 48V across the switch. Same is true for a BMS that opens, the full voltage is across that battery
well put .. I was only thinking when on.

Back