diy solar

diy solar

13kw complete grid-tie for under $8k

TheDan

I have finally purchased everything for my build, pulled the permits, got HOA approval, and most importantly nailed down my costs! ROI of just over 3 years.

32 of these beauties will decorate my roof!
20220204_174549.jpg

The rails are on their way and should be here this week and we can finally get started.

Any tips how you got through permitting?
I had all of my components picked out and a rough 3-wire plan I was working off but after looking into how long it would take to put together a permit package AND pay for PE stamps versus just using an online service for the entire package it wasn't worth the $250 in savings.
Ended up using these guys from CA but they can get PE stamps anywhere I think: https://solarpermitservices.com/our-services/ -$550 with PE stamp for the 3-wire.

If your county or municipality require PE stamps you are stuck paying for the plans anyway and most PEs from what I've seen will not readily stamp a DIY/amateurs design as they take liability.

I had all of my components picked out and a rough 3-wire plan I was working off but after looking into how long it would take to put together a permit package AND pay for PE stamps versus just using an online service for the entire package it wasn't worth the $250 in savings.
Ended up using these guys from CA but they can get PE stamps anywhere I think: https://solarpermitservices.com/our-services/ -$550 with PE stamp for the 3-wire.

If your county or municipality require PE stamps you are stuck paying for the plans anyway and most PEs from what I've seen will not readily stamp a DIY/amateurs design as they take liability.
Yeah they make me get PE and wind load calculation around here.

I'm on agriculture zoned land and can literally build a 50x50 barn without needing a drawing or calculation, but for bolting a panel to a roof I need 2 engineers involved ;)

Ended up using these guys from CA but they can get PE stamps anywhere I think: https://solarpermitservices.com/our-services/ -$550 with PE stamp
I'll check them out

Yeah they make me get PE and wind load calculation around here.

I'm on agriculture zoned land and can literally build a 50x50 barn without needing a drawing or calculation, but for bolting a panel to a roof I need 2 engineers involved ;)
Same here, I have the load and uplift calc in the plans BUT did not get a PE stamp and hope the inspector will let it pass. Worst case is I have to shell out another $300 for another stamp...

I think alte charges around $350 for a permit package. May be worth checking out too.

I have finally purchased everything for my build, pulled the permits, got HOA approval, and most importantly nailed down my costs! ROI of just over 3 years.

32 of these beauties will decorate my roof!
View attachment 85815

The rails are on their way and should be here this week and we can finally get started.
What is your inverter setup?

I would also be interested to hear about your inverter setup. I'm currently looking at putting together the same size system.

I picked up two Delta H6 inverters for $400 ea. I looked at Growatt and that was def a close contender and I may switch if I ever feel a need to use batteries but with the price spikes for precious metals I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Here is my layout:
Screenshot_20220314-194354_Office.jpg

nice ROI will probly become alot quicker due to push for electric vehicles and the price of electricity is to skyrocket with the grid being stressed alot more.

nice ROI will probly become alot quicker due to push for electric vehicles and the price of electricity is to skyrocket with the grid being stressed alot more.
Just like we're seeing everything skyrocket in price

Back