diy solar

diy solar

1K Cabin Setup - Comments welcome

GlennH

Hi,

I just set up a solar system for my cabin. I'm relying on the advice of a friend who has done his own small solar and an electrician to help keep me out of some trouble. I would appreciate comment and critique for people on this forum, you all have lots more knowledge and experience than the three of us combined.

I have 6x150W 12V Coleman panels, 3 strings of 2, feeding 24 volts over 10 gauge wires through a combiner box.
Front.JPGBack.JPGTop.JPG

From there 6 gauge wire feeds a 24V 40Amp EPEVER MPPT. And from there 6 gauge wire feeds 2 strings of 4 golf cart batteries (215 amp-hours each) each connected with 6 gauge wire. I have a 50amp breaker on the positive wire between the batteries and everything else, and a on/off switch on the negative line between the inverter and the batteries/MPPT.
Top.JPGMiddle.JPGBattery1.JPGBattery2.JPG

Connected to that is a 3000W continuous/6000W peak pure sine wave inverter. The inverter A/C goes through an on-off switch befor running underground to my cabin where it connects to a 200AMP panel with standard house wiring after that.
Inverter.JPG

In the cabin I have minimized electrical loads. It has a propane forced air furnace, a 10 cubic foot electric fridge, an RV 100V water pump, a septic pump, a propane range, and LED lighting. There are circuits for a dryer and an electric range, but not in place today.

Some issues I think I have are
- the 6 gauge wire from the black bus bar to the on-off switch. That should be doubled or bigger I think.
- the 50amp breaker is probably too small for the total capacity of the battery bank and the draw of the inverter. That size was taken from someone else's system design with a 2000W inverter.
- I'm missing a ground wire from the combiner box. I don't know the right size for that or where to connect that. Does it run on the ground to the cabin?

As I said, I appreciate any input people have on this setup.

Thanks!

Cool cabin.
From what I can see and your description:
I wouldn't be concerned about the ground in the combiner box.
If you are happy with a 1.2kw MAX, disregard the following. If you ever intend on a combined load above that...
The 6ga. wire on the batteries needs to go away posthaste. That is a fire waiting to happen. All battery/inverter cables should handle 125 amps min. (3kw/24V continuous). 2ga.
The 50 amp breaker (80% rating) will limit your 3kw inverter to <900w continuous.

Cool cabin.
From what I can see and your description:
I wouldn't be concerned about the ground in the combiner box.
If you are happy with a 1.2kw MAX, disregard the following. If you ever intend on a combined load above that...
The 6ga. wire on the batteries needs to go away posthaste. That is a fire waiting to happen. All battery/inverter cables should handle 125 amps min. (3kw/24V continuous). 2ga.
The 50 amp breaker (80% rating) will limit your 3kw inverter to <900w continuous.
Thanks, this is the kind of commentary I was hoping for. And I'm glad the 50amp breaker will keep me safe for the moment at 900watts. Once I correct the wiring, what would be the right breaker size?

You always want to keep the breaker sized lower than the lowest amperage point of the system. In your case, lower than the wire and the switch. 100 amps should be good for that inverter and (upgraded) wire. If the DC switch is not rated for that, change it.

Back