diy solar

diy solar

2 AWG 2 wires vs 4/0

Just ordered a 1" by 1/4" copper bar. I am going to build a cradle for the main shut off that stradles one of my battries
Buss bar to battery terminal, 4/0 to distribution.
Going to wrap the buss bar in heavy duty electrical tape.
Now I just need to find longer battery bolts.
Thanks
ANdy

Folks,
I have pretty cramped electric compartment in a fifth wheel.
I am using 4 200ah Amprer/Li-Time batteries in parallel.
I have am using the Victron Lynx Shunt and Distributor Sytstem.
I am running a 4/0 cable from Battery 3 neg to the neg of the Shunt
I planned on running 4/0 cable from Battery 2 positive to a battery isolation switch
And then another piece of 4/0 from the switch to the positive of the shunt.

That 4/0 is just brutal to bend. The isolation switch has two output terminals.
That got me thinking I might be better off running 2 AWG 2 lines from the switch to the shunt.
That makes the whole thing a lot easier to wire, but I end up with a system with wire rated for 200 A on a 400 A fuse.

Any thoughts? I have seen it done, I know its not ideal but how bad an idea is it?
Thanks
ANdy

I ran two 2/0 parallel runs (about 15ft long) from middle basement of motorhome in a conduit to the engine compartment in back, where it attaches to a single Class-T 350a fuse, then the other end of the fuse is connected to a single 4/0 wire (about 5 feet long) going to the inverter.

I realize I didn't fuse each wire of the 2/0 run, but I check my end connections on it every month to make sure the crimps and bolts are all still tight, not too worried about it though. But technically it should have two fuses in case one wire came off, the other would flow double-current, but it is highly unlikely, since they both have awesome crimps, weatherproof well with glue-filled heat shrinks, and attached onto the same bolt (each end), and I do regular inspections on it.

The only reason I used the 2/0 is because I already had enough laying around and didn't want to spend more at the time I did it, to buy some 4/0.. The 2/0 does bend a lot easier though..

I could be wrong, but I thought the NEC didn't apply to RVs.

I used parallel connectors a few times for the same reason, just make sure you follow proper safety procedures for paralleling conductors (fusing, length, etc).

Using this solid copper bus bar and bending it is also a solid idea, I've seen some pretty heavy duty industrial bus bars run this way. It might help to run them out to where it's easier to make a connection, if you're worried about the exposed copper, some heat shrink would cover it.

Screenshot_20231003-131111_Gallery.jpg

I could be wrong, but I thought the NEC didn't apply to RVs.
There is "Article 551 Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks" which covers RVs, although there's not really any one to enforce it after the RV has been manufactured. Following the NEC is also a good practice for safety, absent any real standards.

I've had good luck with these guys.
Yeah TemCO is all we use out here -- i got tired of having to have the guys try to bend tight fitting wire for me due to lack of upper body strength .... switched to Temco welding wire and it solved most of that issue -- of course 4/0 still weighs what it weighs ...

There is "Article 551 Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks" which covers RVs, although there's not really any one to enforce it after the RV has been manufactured. Following the NEC is also a good practice for safety, absent any real standards.
Not to mention that an RV is made out of lightweight metal, plastics, and kindling. No biggie, it will burn fast enough the fumes won't get ya before the heat.

Not to mention that an RV is made out of lightweight metal, plastics, and kindling. No biggie, it will burn fast enough the fumes won't get ya before the heat.

At least the windows are usually thin single pane, so the family can jump right through them Hollywood style... They're like a built-in fire escape easy evacuation feature.

At worse case, one could probably just karate kick a hole right through the wall and get out.

Back