diy solar

diy solar

2 gauge thhn

Mannfamilywoodworks

Solar Enthusiast
Can I use 2 gauge thhn for a negative battery cable?
Or is this too rigid?
It’s from from growatt 6k inverter to eg4 lifepower4 battery it’s a 50 inch length I need
Looking at the big box stores

Too stiff. You need good flexibility to not put stress on the connections. Welding cable is best.

Why are you asking about the negative? Both positive and negative are equally important. Most use the same wire on both.

THHN is still wire and still carries current. It should work fine. I can't say if the flexibility causes issues with your installation. Make sure it isn't putting force into the battery terminals.

Why are you asking about the negative? Both positive and negative are equally important. Most use the same wire on both.

THHN is still wire and still carries current. It should work fine. I can't say if the flexibility causes issues with your installation. Make sure it isn't putting force into the battery terminals.
My positive cable is long enough.
My negative cable could be 10” longer
Thankyou.
I’m gonna search for the welding wire most likely.

Can I use 2 gauge thhn for a negative battery cable?
Or is this too rigid?
It’s from from growatt 6k inverter to eg4 lifepower4 battery it’s a 50 inch length I need
Looking at the big box stores

I would use 1/0 awg minimum.
2 awg is technically possible but why waste your fresh squeezed electricty to heat?
1/0 awg is pretty darn rigid but it tends to stay bent after you bend it.
Use of strain reliefs is encouraged.
Also keep the bend radius gentle.

I would use 1/0 awg minimum.
2 awg is technically possible but why waste your fresh squeezed electricty to heat?
1/0 awg is pretty darn rigid but it tends to stay bent after you bend it.
Use of strain reliefs is encouraged.
Also keep the bend radius wide.
2 gauge is what came with the battery so I was assuming it’d be fine.
I thought 1 gauge would be better. Less resistance right?

1 awg is hard to find thats why I suggest 1/0 awg.
Both would have less resistance than 2 awg.

That may be what came with the battery but you are talking about the inverter circuit.
Tell me you have more than one of those eg4 batteries?

That may be what came with the battery but you are talking about the inverter circuit.
Tell me you have more than one of those eg4 batteries?

S.s. Recommended the 2 gauge actually and that’s what I purchased from them. I made a mistake when designing everything though so now I’m a little short and I’m gonna wait until I fix this to power on again.

I do not yet lol
My loads are minimal.
I have 400watts total with everything running in my home.

Or you could form it properly, so it just drops onto the stud like we do with our 500MCM cables in power panels.
Those lugs are mounted more rigidly.
I would never put a 500 Kcmil cable onto a 6 mm stud threaded into an aluminum terminal pad.
But, everyone is welcome to do whatever they are comfortable with.

My loads are minimal.
I have 400watts total with everything running in my home.
It's a bit late for input now because you already purchased and installed the inverter. But why would you buy a 6,000 watt inverter for 400 watts of load?

Plus, inverter idle energy consumption is listed at 115 watts. Your inverter increases your energy consumption by 28%

I got a 45” 2 gauge battery cable from autozone.
This should work fine right?

Edit:image didn’t load

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 13
It's a bit late for input now because you already purchased and installed the inverter. But why would you buy a 6,000 watt inverter for 400 watts of load?

Plus, inverter idle energy consumption is listed at 115 watts. Your inverter increases your energy consumption by 28%
my needs will increase when I buy more batteries

my needs will increase when I buy more batteries
Should work fine. If you decide to upgrade I've order twice from here with fast shipping and no issues. https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/Marine-Battery-Cable?product_id=53
Good find for a holiday weekend! I wouldn't have thought of that.
Should work great, just replace it as you upgrade.

Oops, I quoted the wrong post for the second quote. I meant to hit the button on the OP's AutoZone pic.

Here’s the new negative battery wire with everything working and powered on.

I installed two breaker panels.
One is powered by solar/battery
The other is powered by my generator only.
This isn’t my end goal for my system but it’s getting better

Edit- photos wouldn’t load

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back