diy solar

diy solar

(2)LV6548 vs Growatt 12kW vs (2)LVX6048

xprimnt

Hi all!

I’m really struggling with options for a mobile “RV shore power” trailer. I will likely have more questions (especially regarding grounding…) in the near future, but want to finalize my wiring diagram first.

I need to power 3-4 trailers (one 50A and the rest 30A) via their shore power inputs. We will be in a temporary off grid spot and moving around the property at least once (maybe twice, hence the trailer build idea) as we try out areas to find the “goldilocks spot”. Although in the distant future we have the possibility of grid installation I would rather stay off! PV will be on ground mounts that we will move as needed.

My original plan was to use a Growatt 12kW DVM-MPV in an enclosed trailer with the large battery bank I’ll be building when they arrive off the boat. However, before I bite the bullet I want to explore options in a similar range. I have been looking at paralleling two of either the LV6548 or LVX6048 offerings.

The benefit I see to the LVX is that if I find we need more oomph in the future I can just add on a single additional unit. Paralleling the MPP AIO units will allow for a bit more PV input in the future as well. LVX also allows 450V PV input, so would simplify the wiring. However, I don’t see much in way of reviews or thoughts on the unit. As for the LV6548, it seems like a good unit, just not seeing the benefit over the Low Frequency Growatt.

I very much welcome thoughts, opinions, rants, etc. All the items are somewhat difficult to get locally (Canada Land), so I have quotes from the manufacturers themselves.

Thanks!

If you plan on running the air conditioning units you’d better go with the low frequency inverter for compressor surge.

Thanks BenQ!

that is indeed what we went with. Installing at the moment - currently waiting for the batteries to top balance (my god I didn’t realize I was so impatient, but this definitely puts a test on the patience-is-a-virtue thing) and it will be glorious.

We put a smaller AIO Growatt (3000W) down in the “shop” area, and I have been super impressed so far. Expecting big things with this monster (it was not a pretty sight lifting it into place).

If you plan on running the air conditioning units you’d better go with the low frequency inverter for compressor surge.
I think the LVX6048 is "semi-LF". It has a transformer and a 2x surge rating for 5s. I have 1 but haven't done a surge test on it. I wish growatt and MPP solar gave more detailed surge ratings. MPP Solar only gives a 5s surge rating and the growatt only gives a 20ms surge rating. Other companies give surge ratings for 2-3 different time frames.

Back