diy solar

diy solar

Growatt 12KW Setup/Review

Lukowski

Hey all,
Here is my electrical system. Did my homework and this is the result.
Some questions still remain.
Equipment: Growatt 12kW
No solar panels at this time.

First of all, this will not be utilized as passthrough. The intention is to manually switch on batteries/inverter, and transfer switch as needed.

This seems to me the best way to set this up safely.

The service entrance is grounded and bonded to supply power to main, per local and national code. This is how I normally use the system.
Currently have 2 ground rods installed, and one will have a breaker in line to the main panel to isolate the inverter system from the grid ground in conjunction with the 4 way transfer switch.

Areas in question are as follows:

1. With transfer switch open and 2 ground rod locations, is it acceptable to close ground rod breaker to isolate off grid system from service entrance ground rod? (see picture below) Transfer switch will open ground circuit to grid service ground rod, and transfer switch will be grounded to grid side. By the way, the ground rods are not co-located. Service entrance disconnect is ~200ft away.

2. In the event which battery levels are depleted and grid is still down, generator will be used as inverter input. I do not currently have solar panels installed in the system. Is the inverter going to pass-through to main and provide charge current to batteries?

3. With inverter output power to Main, does the inverter require the main panel to have a neutral bond? Didn't think it needs a neutral bond in this case but this seems to be the trickiest part if I am wrong.

4. For the breaker and wire sizing on the INPUT/OUPUT side of the inverter. The label states AC input(100A), AC output(50A). For 50A, 6awg is sized correctly. 100A Would require a larger wire, more like 1awg. The lugs on the inverter will not accept a wire that size. Will 6awg be acceptable with the inverter charger current set to ~ 50amp?

InverterSetup.png

Back