diy solar

diy solar

2 sets of 2S8P - one set 160 volts, other set 166 volts...

6v isn't a problem.
But the output amperage will be of the lower rating.
If that's acceptable, then carry on.

is a 6 volt difference between the two sets of 2s8P panels important?
Just to verify you have 32 panels?

What are the specs of your panels? Watts, Voc and Isc.

Your 2S8P array may have crazy high amps that unless combined in a combiner box exceed MC4 connector 30A rating.

And you are combining these 2x 2S8P arrays in parallel or series?

This sounds like an unusual setup.

Just to verify you have 32 panels?

What are the specs of your panels? Watts, Voc and Isc.

Your 2S8P array may have crazy high amps that unless combined in a combiner box exceed MC4 connector 30A rating.

And you are combining these 2x 2S8P arrays in parallel or series?

This sounds like an unusual setup.
2S4P setup.... not 2S8P.... my apologies.

Whew! That makes more sense.

Are your voltage differences what you're seeing on a meter or on the spec sheet? If the panels are all the same make & model the voltage difference can be something as simple as dust on the panels or a branch casting shade, I.E. nothing to worry about.

I have 3 arrays of 3s5p - going to different charge controllers. One array started dipping to 2500w mid-afternoon and the others were 3500w... so I was thinking something was wrong. I checked voltages and one combiner box was was showing ~101v (2500w) and the others were ~95v (3500w) when all 3 should have been ~95v at good MPPT levels.

It turns out - that the array/controller with the higher voltage was hitting max Absorb/Float sooner than the other 2... because it was seeing a higher battery voltage than the other 2. Basically - nothing was wrong and I felt like an idiot :)

How do you have things arranged - is it 2 different charge controllers? If so, one of your controllers could be operating a bit differently thinking the battery voltage is nearing 'full' and backing off MPPT efficiency which would raise the voltage as in my case.

Last edited:
Back