diy solar

diy solar

Solar and generator input question on Growatt 5000w ES

DanET1983

We just switched from a Renogy 48v 3500 watt all in one inverter to a Growatt 48v 5000w ES inverter over the weekend.

We have 8 Renogy solar panels that are rated for max 40 VOC with 32 volt typical output. With the Renogy inverter, we were limited to a maximum of 140 volt input so we ran two sets of 3 panels (i.e. around 90-120 volt input).

However, it seems like the Growatt needs a minimum of 150 volts and can take up to 450 volts. We changed the former set up to now be 2 sets of 4 panels, and it is charging the batteries, but I'm wondering if it would be better to have one set of 8 panels all in series? Having 2 sets fo 4 panels means we are pushing between 125 and 150 volts depending on solar strength.

Also, the panel shows 230 volt right now at the top - wouldn't it only be able to provide 120 volts with just one inverter and need a paired inverter to create 230/240 volt? The instructions on set up are not as easy to follow compared to the Renogy manual.

Would I need to switch my generator input to 240 volt? If I do, why does it only have ground, load and neutral connections? I assume it is because there would be a need for other load wire to go to a second inverter - but not sure as this is the ES version.

The Growatt SPF-5000-ES is a European model.
It's output is 230v/ 240v 50hz/60hz single phase.
It sounds like you are in North America.
Which has a 120V/ 240v single phase (AKA split-phase) electrical system.
This AIO requires a transformer to convert to split-phase. And modification of internal bonding.

The Growatt SPF-5000-ES is a European model.
It's output is 230v/ 240v 50hz/60hz single phase.
It sounds like you are in North America.
Which has a 120V/ 240v single phase (AKA split-phase) electrical system.
This AIO requires a transformer to convert to split-phase. And modification of internal bonding.
So, the good news is that the majority of items we use in our off grid cabin are 240 volt capable (laptops for work, external monitors, Starlink satellite and TV) so I'm thinking we stick with this configuration (in the US) until we build our permanent cabin.

At this point I assume that the branch circuits should be 3 wire to have red, black, neutral and EGC ? How are branch circuits wired in the UK?

Back