diy solar

diy solar

2 Systems tying to one main panel: eg4 18k pv + IQ7+

the.shining

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster here....

I'm attempting to take the best parts of both microinverter and hybrid systems. Will the system I've designed in the picture work? I've seen some variations of this system discussed but nothing exactly...

I want all my home circuits (Main Panel) to take in power from 2 distinct and separated solar systems:

- 20 panel IQ7+ enphase microinverter system
- 30 panel eg4 18kw pv all-in-one hybrid inverter system

The EG4 18k which will:
- harvest 13.5 kw pv from 30 panels
- house the automatic switch preventing back flow into grid
- manage load sharing from 15kwh storage array

The IQ7+ Microinverter system will:
- harvest 6kw pv from 20 panels
- provide better protection against periodic shading which this location suffers from
- provide rapid inverter shutdown technology at the panel
- provide some diversification of inverter failure

Questions:

Is there going to be an issue having one type of inverter sine wave from the iq7+ system meeting at the Main Panel which is also being fed by the eg4 18k pv hybrid inverter?

Would the IQ7+ stay on in case of grid failure? (pretty sure the eg4 18kpv handles the switching from grid to battery effortlessly, but I've heard the iq7+ can still try to shut down even if a sine wave from another inverter is present)

My diagram includes arrows which designate which direction electricity can flow...would these flow directions be acceptable or would they have to be ammended to avoid some problem?

Overall Goal Of My System:
It's my understanding that the EG4 18k pv can be programmed to use electricity in this order:

- first, from the IQ7+ array
- second, from the Pergola and Animal Barn array (hybrid-managed array)
- 3rd, from the battery bank
- 4th, from the grid

Other System Ideas:
If this system isn't possible, I'm interested in whatever ideas this community may know of that can accomplish the goals I've laid out...
FYI, I'm not interested in a AC coupled system because that is not a system designed to rely on the battery storage daily, with grid-assisted/automated load sharing capabilities.

Other Background Information:
This is a land and expand strategy. I use 120 kw per day in my home so I would need to expand this 20 kw system significantly in the future (either on the microinverter or hybrid arrays), but I want to start with this smaller system.

1703212880760.png

Is there going to be an issue having one type of inverter sine wave from the iq7+ system meeting at the Main Panel which is also being fed by the eg4 18k pv hybrid inverter?

Would the IQ7+ stay on in case of grid failure? (pretty sure the eg4 18kpv handles the switching from grid to battery effortlessly, but I've heard the iq7+ can still try to shut down even if a sine wave from another inverter is present)

On-grid? No.

Off-grid? It's possible 18kpv will not be able to form a compatible grid, however my understanding is IQ7 and below Enphase microinverters are OK, and it's the IQ8's that have problems.

EDIT: See below for why you probably don't want them to meet at the main panel.

Consider looking at Hoymiles or other lower cost microinverters. I've bought from this forum member before (equipment + plans set + consulting): https://www.themicroinverterstore.com/. Using the HMS2000, you might even be able to put 8 solar panels per 4 port microinverter.

That would be 300W + 300W (2P) into a 500W port.

Since they're going into the microinverter in parallel, it will have OK tolerance against shading.

My diagram includes arrows which designate which direction electricity can flow...would these flow directions be acceptable or would they have to be ammended to avoid some problem?
I wouldn't recommend thinking about the allowed electricity flow... by default you should just assume it can go both ways :laugh: Overall the picture looks great (I didn't check your DC string for compatibility with 18kpv).

Other System Ideas:
If this system isn't possible, I'm interested in whatever ideas this community may know of that can accomplish the goals I've laid out...
FYI, I'm not interested in a AC coupled system because that is not a system designed to rely on the battery storage daily, with grid-assisted/automated load sharing capabilities.

This is kind of confusing because AC coupling is exactly what you're doing here (at least, in terms of how the forum uses AC coupling. There are some vendors that use a weaker definition). Maybe your definitions don't line up with mine.

In terms of your diagram, you most likely want to attach the IQ7 to the generator input of the 18KPV, possibly with a double throw switch to switch in a generator. I think that's a supported config, and the relay on the generator input allows the microinverters to be kicked off if there is some kind of unexpected issue (IE microinverters put out too much power). EDIT: Without a relay (IE meet in the main panel) the only way for the 18kpv to kick the microinverters off is by shifting the frequency to the point where the microinverters turn off.

When AC coupling off grid you need a hybrid inverter with charging and inverter capacity at least as big as the array you have attached. And this is calculated based on the most constrained component. For instance if you have 12kW of inverter/charger (as on 18pkv) but not enough battery to charge/discharge, then the AC coupled array needs to be reduced in size, or some special control system put in place to avoid an imbalanced system. Your 6kW proposed Enphase array will be well below the 12kW limit.

Last edited:
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster here....

I'm attempting to take the best parts of both microinverter and hybrid systems. Will the system I've designed in the picture work? I've seen some variations of this system discussed but nothing exactly...

I want all my home circuits (Main Panel) to take in power from 2 distinct and separated solar systems:

- 20 panel IQ7+ enphase microinverter system
- 30 panel eg4 18kw pv all-in-one hybrid inverter system

The EG4 18k which will:
- harvest 13.5 kw pv from 30 panels
- manage load sharing from 15kwh storage array

The IQ7+ Microinverter system will:
- harvest 6kw pv from 20 panels
- provide better protection against periodic shading which this location suffers from
- provide rapid inverter shutdown technology at the panel
- provide some diversification of inverter failure

Questions:

Overall Goal Of My System:
It's my understanding that the EG4 18k pv can be programmed to use electricity in this order:

- first, from the IQ7+ array
- second, from the Pergola and Animal Barn array (hybrid-managed array)
- 3rd, from the battery bank
- 4th, from the grid

Other System Ideas:

Other Background Information:
This is a land and expand strategy. I use 120 kw per day in my home so I would need to expand this 20 kw system significantly in the future (either on the microinverter or hybrid arrays), but I want to start with this smaller system.

View attachment 184476
The 18Kpv can do AC coupling with the micro inverters, but they must be hooked up to the Gen Port (I wish they called it the multi-purpose port because it can be used for generator input, AC coupled input, or smartload output)

1703225228727.png

There are settings in the 18Kpv that tell it the port is being used for AC coupling.

Let's be clear on this one..... there has been a lot of confusion.

If you are referring to making sure there is no backfeed when the grid goes down, then yes, the 18Kpv will do that quite well. The internal relay will isolate everything downstream of the inverter from the grid. (This is a basic requirement for all hybrid inverters) Furthermore, when the batteries get full the 18Kpv will do frequency shifting to signal the microinverters to shut down.

However, things get a bit complicated when the grid is up and supplying power.
When the grid is connected, the grid controls the frequency and therefore the grid controls the micro-inverters,(The 18kPV is not controlling the microinverters) If the micro-inverters are generating more power than is needed to charge the batteries and run the loads, the excess power will be back-fed to the grid. Since you have existing micro-inverters, I assume you are already feeding power onto the grid, so I also assume this is not an issue for you.

Note: when the micro inverters are providing more power than is needed, the behavior of the 18Kpv will depend on the various settings.
+ It could be set up to stop generating power and let the micro inverters power everything
+ There are settings that can tell the inverter to generate more power than is needed.... so the inverter would add to the power going onto the grid.

Please study the manual closely. The 18Kpv has a lot of different capabilities, but with that come a lot of different settings. You should also take advantage of the commissioning service that Signature Solar offers. They can log in remotely to help you do all the settings.

After modifying the diagram and sending the microinverters straight into the eg4 to form an ac-coupled system... this would be on-grid compatible, correct?
Off-grid? It's possible 18kpv will not be able to form a compatible grid, however my understanding is IQ7 and below Enphase microinverters are OK, and it's the IQ8's that have problems.

Consider looking at Hoymiles or other lower cost microinverters. I've bought from this forum member before (equipment + plans set + consulting):
Will check out the lower cost microinverters.
This is kind of confusing because AC coupling is exactly what you're doing here (at least, in terms of how the forum uses AC coupling. There are some vendors that use a weaker definition). Maybe your definitions don't line up with mine.
I was under the impression that AC coupling always required a manual interlocking breaker to switch flow between hybrid inverter and power meter. In other words, automated switching/automated load sharing wasn't allowed. Essentially, the ac-coupled system was designed for battery backup in case of grid failure. But if not, then yes, this would be an AC coupled system.
...shifting the frequency to the point where the microinverters turn off.
I'd read before that frequency shifting was supported so I was going to rely on that, but I'm sure I'll need to verify intercompability with whatever microinverter I interface with the EG4 18kpv.
When the grid is connected, the grid controls the frequency and therefore the grid controls the micro-inverters,(The 18kPV is not controlling the microinverters) If the micro-inverters are generating more power than is needed to charge the batteries and run the loads, the excess power will be back-fed to the grid.
With the microinverters providing only 6kw of power at peak production, I have 6 kwh load all day, often double that on consumption (12kw) so backfeed to power meter shouldn't be an issue. However, I'm hoping that the EG4 18kpv is smart enough to not backfeed the grid when power production of 19.5kw (peak production) exceeds 12kw (consumption) during daylight hours...AND the battery is already full. In my original diagram, I thought having the microinverters feed into the main panel might simplify the load sharing calculations of the eg4 since it only had to manage 3 sources (battery, main panel, power meter) plus the array input....In this ac coupled config, the eg4 will have 4 sources (plus the arrays) to manage...But, it sounds like it won't be an issue because the eg4 was designed to manage another generator input anyways (that can be leveraged for microinvter input).
Please study the manual closely.
Knowing now that this idea is feasible, I'll be drilling into the programatic functions deeply.

NEW SYSTEM: Hybridi Inverter AC Coupled with Microinverters
1703258662390.png

After modifying the diagram and sending the microinverters straight into the eg4 to form an ac-coupled system... this would be on-grid compatible, correct?
It was on grid compatible before. The problem was that it’s not the primarily supported input and was not subject to protection of the relay.
I was under the impression that AC coupling always required a manual interlocking breaker to switch flow between hybrid inverter and power meter.
That sounds more like some flavor of low end off grid AIO.

There does need to be an automatic transfer switch somewhere when you have a hybrid. To disconnect the grid when power goes down, otherwise the microgrid formed by the hybrid will backfeed the utility side which is not allowed for safety reasons, and would blow out your hybrid from the power draw of the neighbors.

On the 18kpv this is baked into the inverter, and is rated to 200A

On some other kinds of hardware, this is part of a separate box called a Microgrid Interconnection Device (MID) in Enphase parlance (some people adopt it for other brands too, I don’t know if this will become a thing in English). Other stuff a MID can include would include CT sensors for export control and autotransformer for grid forming. CT should be common in many architectures while the AT depends on whether the inverter is 240V or 120/240

I'd read before that frequency shifting was supported so I was going to rely on that, but I'm sure I'll need to verify intercompability with whatever microinverter I interface with the EG4 18kpv.
Frequency shift is implemented by any grid tie inverter newer than 1741SA, and actually pre 1741SA inverters will also turn off in response to frequency shift. The big difference is that the older inverters do a hard cutoff (it triggers out of frequency range safety measure) and likely take longer to turn back on.

However, the main incompatibility is in triggering the anti-islanding or other obscure behavior on the microinverters. There’s a lot of threads on this for IQ8 on this forum.

However, I'm hoping that the EG4 18kpv is smart enough to not backfeed the grid when power production of 19.5kw (peak production) exceeds 12kw (consumption) during daylight hours...AND the battery is already full.

So when you are on grid, it’s not possible to frequency shift or use any other kind of signaling by changing the AC properties. It is inherently impossible because you have to follow the grid. To control the output of AC coupled inverter required access to proprietary protocol. Enphase and Hoymiles both have a proprietary protocol for curtailing without using frequency shift etc, with Hoymiles having a much better documented one that you can actually interface with.

I sort of wish someone would release a type of hybrid that has a second inverter or inverter/charger that forms a separate grid for the AC coupled inverters, so that they can be frequency shifted without doing a hard cut. I’m not sure how valuable this actually is in practice, and it adds real cost.

So if you have cross brand system like 18kpv plus Enphase or Hoymiles, the only control would be cutting off the relay. I do not know if 18kpv is programmed this way. It SHOULD be doable but you will have to ask EG4 folks whether it’s implemented, or ask in the 18kpv megathread.

Some people also say cutting the relay is theoretically bad for the grid tie inverters because that is not normal operation for them (IE, why would Enphase test that their inverters can handle a daily power cut. Power only goes out once a month maybe). However, there are some hybrid inverter and AC battery companies that use relay control as a primary means of curtailing. Nobody has shared real data AFAIK.

Yes
I was under the impression that AC coupling always required a manual interlocking breaker to switch flow between hybrid inverter and power meter. In other words, automated switching/automated load sharing wasn't allowed. Essentially, the ac-coupled system was designed for battery backup in case of grid failure. But if not, then yes, this would be an AC coupled system.
No AC coupling refers to how the inverter (or micro inverter) 'couples' with the battery system. In this case, the microinverter converts the energy to AC and sends it to the inverter managing the battery. The inverter managing the battery converts it to DC to charge the battery.

Both the microinverters and the 18Kpv are grid interactive devices. When the grid is up and connected they will sync with the grid and put energy into the system.... there does not need to be an interlock.
Any UL-certified grid interactive micro-inverter should work with the 18Kpv.
With the microinverters providing only 6kw of power at peak production, I have 6 kwh load all day, often double that on consumption (12kw) so backfeed to power meter shouldn't be an issue. However, I'm hoping that the EG4 18kpv is smart enough to not backfeed the grid when power production of 19.5kw (peak production) exceeds 12kw (consumption) during daylight hours...AND the battery is already full. In my original diagram, I thought having the microinverters feed into the main panel might simplify the load sharing calculations of the eg4 since it only had to manage 3 sources (battery, main panel, power meter) plus the array input....In this ac coupled config, the eg4 will have 4 sources (plus the arrays) to manage...But, it sounds like it won't be an issue because the eg4 was designed to manage another generator input anyways (that can be leveraged for microinvter input).
As I said earlier, when the grid is up and connected, the grid controls the microinverters.... so it can't do much about power from the micro-inverters. The inverter can be programmed to only generate power when the loads need more than the microinverters are generating.

Any UL-certified grid interactive micro-inverter should work with the 18Kpv.
There’s a lot of salty people here about how the IQ8 generation have been finicky with hybrids. Has someone installed a large array of IQ8 with an 18kpv? (The array size is relevant for some anti islanding approaches, success with one or two isn’t indicative of the dynamic behavior with a proper sized non toy array)

So when you are on grid, it’s not possible to frequency shift or use any other kind of signaling by changing the AC properties. It is inherently impossible because you have to follow the grid. To control the output of AC coupled inverter required access to proprietary protocol. Enphase and Hoymiles both have a proprietary protocol for curtailing without using frequency shift etc, with Hoymiles having a much better documented one that you can actually interface with.

I sort of wish someone would release a type of hybrid that has a second inverter or inverter/charger that forms a separate grid for the AC coupled inverters, so that they can be frequency shifted without doing a hard cut. I’m not sure how valuable this actually is in practice, and it adds real cost.

So if you have cross brand system like 18kpv plus Enphase or Hoymiles, the only control would be cutting off the relay. I do not know if 18kpv is programmed this way. It SHOULD be doable but you will have to ask EG4 folks whether it’s implemented, or ask in the 18kpv megathread.

Some people also say cutting the relay is theoretically bad for the grid tie inverters because that is not normal operation for them (IE, why would Enphase test that their inverters can handle a daily power cut. Power only goes out once a month maybe). However, there are some hybrid inverter and AC battery companies that use relay control as a primary means of curtailing. Nobody has shared real data AFAIK.
Relay control is the primary challenge in my system. I'll see what I can find out about hybrid/AC battery setups have in terms of relay control.
AC coupling refers to how the inverter (or micro inverter) 'couples' with the battery system. In this case, the microinverter converts the energy to AC and sends it to the inverter managing the battery. The inverter managing the battery converts it to DC to charge the battery.
Got it. For the sake of argument, I don't know if there'd need to be a battery in place for this system to qualify as an AC-coupled system. Really, there'd just need to be two competing AC signals coming into the hybrid inverter. The hybrid inverter (without a battery) could still be justified in a system like this for the automated switch capabilities and future expandibility options (such as battery).
Has someone installed a large array of IQ8 with an 18kpv? (The array size is relevant for some anti islanding approaches, success with one or two isn’t indicative of the dynamic behavior with a proper sized non toy array)
I too would be interested to see if anyone has installed any system combining microinverters with hybrids that had Daily Relay Control between the microinverter pv production, hybrid pv production, grid, and battery...not an infrequent cutoff fail-safe mechanism, but a robust daily-operated purpose-built functionality...I'm yet to find any blogs/forums/vids that speak to this type of relay control.

I too would be interested to see if anyone has installed any system combining microinverters with hybrids that had Daily Relay Control between the microinverter pv production, hybrid pv production, grid, and battery...not an infrequent cutoff fail-safe mechanism, but a robust daily-operated purpose-built functionality...I'm yet to find any blogs/forums/vids that speak to this type of relay control.
There are a couple open source/DIY zero export implementations using Hoymiles control protocol.

You would not need to use a relay to turn them off, as there is an API to throttle them all the way down to zero. Even on a per port or per microinverter basis.

Whether relay or API based you can trigger it based on SoC based relay control, there are a few PLCs people have rigged up. One way would be to retrieve SoC from the hybrid’s monitoring.

There are a couple open source/DIY zero export implementations using Hoymiles control protocol.

You would not need to use a relay to turn them off, as there is an API to throttle them all the way down to zero. Even on a per port or per microinverter basis.

Whether relay or API based you can trigger it based on SoC based relay control, there are a few PLCs people have rigged up. One way would be to retrieve SoC from the hybrid’s monitoring.
Thanks. Researching Hoymiles now.

Cool. If you need zero export guarantee with microinverters I think it is better for you to get that from the hybrid’s AC coupling relay control. That would be the simplest way, albeit less elegant.

So if it was me I would try to ask one of the EG4 reps on the forum.

Posted question about eg4's relay control capabilities in ALL-IN-ONE-SYSTEMS:

Why do you have to connect the microinverters to the generator input on the 18KPV? Why not just feed the main panel with the microinverters. Then connect the grid connection of the 18KPV to another breaker on the main panel. How does the 18KPV know any difference what is else is back feeding the main panel the grid connection matches it's phase to whatever you connect it to. Let's just assume the main busbar is capable of handling all that power like a 400-amp panel. His first drawing is what I kind of envisioned get a micro-inverter system permitted add a 18kpv with a battery later use the CT clamps on the wires coming from the meter to the main breaker to keep the 18kpv from back feeding the grid it only adds power when I would use power in my home. The utility only sees back feeding from the microgrid inverters. Then that would solve the issue if there is a power outage both microinverter string and the 18KPV would shut down power on the grid connections. You could setup a backup panel on the load L1 L2 side of the 18kpv for use when the power is out it would become an off grid style inverter powering that critical load panel.

Why do you have to connect the microinverters to the generator input on the 18KPV? Why not just feed the main panel with the microinverters.
My "main panel" do you mean in the input or grid side of the SolArk?
If so, by connecting any second PV inverter (or micro inverters) to the output or gen input. These inverters can continue to produce when the grid is down and the SolArk is forming a grid to power your house.

By connecting to the gen port specifically, it basically provides extra protection and allows the SolArk to disconnect the second PV source when the battery is full and loads are less than solar production. Frequency shifting should do the same, but opening the connection is guaranteed.

Edit: I typed SolArk a lot in that post. Just sub in EG4 blah blah blah, whatever the inverter model might be ?

You could setup a backup panel on the load L1 L2 side of the 18kpv for use when the power is out it would become an off grid style inverter powering that critical load panel.
I missed this line in my first reply. The assumption (at least my assumption) with this inverter is that they always set up a critical loads panel. I mean that's 99% the purpose of an inverter like this. Without a critical loads panel, just go with a basic grid tie inverter, why spend the money and deal with the complications of this thing?

I missed this line in my first reply. The assumption (at least my assumption) with this inverter is that they always set up a critical loads panel. I mean that's 99% the purpose of an inverter like this. Without a critical loads panel, just go with a basic grid tie inverter, why spend the money and deal with the complications of this thing?
The main use of a battery and inverter is to store excess solar power in the battery then discharge it into your home as you need it when the sun goes down. That way you're not paying for power from the utility. Utilites used to pay 1-1 net metering they would credit you the difference. What was happening was the grid was like a battery. Now that utilities pay far less and rig the bill so there is no credit anymore the only way to store the power is a battery onsite. The critical loads panel is a bonus being able to continue to use the battery when the power goes out and the hybrid inverter can still use the panels connected to it. I realized the reason for AC coupling to the generator input is to continue to use the microinverters even if the power goes out. It all depends on how you want to do it if you plan on doing a fully permitted design then connect it to the generator input. I really don't see a good reason to even use the microinverters if you want to permit entire system. Might as well just connect all the solar to the 18PKV, and if you need more buy another 18pkv set it up in parallel.

The main use of a battery and inverter is to store excess solar power in the battery then discharge it into your home as you need it when the sun goes down.
The main use case of batteries has varied significantly over time. If that was the main case, then all the early Tesla Powerwall owners were lighting cash on fire, since there were no utilities at the time where time shifting makes enough money to cover the cost. Rather, they're paying premium for pride of ownership and having backup power.

There are several tiers of retrofit AC couple systems. Some cannot keep AC coupled up when grid goes down.

I realized the reason for AC coupling to the generator input is to continue to use the microinverters even if the power goes out.
Also provides an option for enforcing zero export in one place if the AC coupled hybrid cannot absorb it, by cutting the relay.

This is likely more simple when using multiple brands than trying to get two independent zero export systems to work together in a sane way.
I really don't see a good reason to even use the microinverters if you want to permit entire system.
Actual shading.

The main use of a battery and inverter is to store excess solar power in the battery then discharge it into your home as you need it when the sun goes down.
The main use case of batteries has varied significantly over time. If that was the main case, then all the early Tesla Powerwall owners were lighting cash on fire, since there were no utilities at the time where time shifting makes enough money to cover the cost. Rather, they're paying premium for pride of ownership and having backup power.

There are several tiers of retrofit AC couple systems. Some cannot keep AC coupled up when grid goes down.

I realized the reason for AC coupling to the generator input is to continue to use the microinverters even if the power goes out.
Also provides an option for enforcing zero export in one place if the AC coupled hybrid cannot absorb it, by cutting the relay.

This is likely more simple when using multiple brands than trying to get two independent zero export systems to work together in a sane way.
I really don't see a good reason to even use the microinverters if you want to permit entire system.
Actual shading.

The microinverter used market can be cheaper these days and provide analytics per panel (vs the string inverter system), plus provide diversification against a single point of failure (all in one hybrid inverters).

The problem with tying the microinverters directly to the main panel (as opposed to the hybrid) is that the hybrid AIO won't have a direct path to regulating the microinverter's pv production in case of grid failure. Could possibly be done with frequency shifting...The hybrid can regulate the arrays connected directly to it but not necessarily the microinverters...whether they are tied directly or indirectly via a panel upstream from the hybrid AIO. So I'm researching the Hoymiles microinverters which may have a method of having their pv production regulated by a downstream hybrid inverter. Hoymiles interface with open source software which yields far more flexiblity but also less purpose-built or tested features. Best case scenario... It's possible the AIO can regulate the microinverters if they are tied into the main panel or into the AIO's Generator input...but I'm yet to have that confirmed or denied. It's not documented in the eg4 manual.

Back