diy solar

diy solar

2 Uni-solar 24v 136 watt panels on my camp trailer, need help!

MVye

A friend installed these panels on his shop roof about ten years ago and finally sold me his left over panels, 2@ 136w. I want to install them on my camp trailer roof but need help on the rest of the system. I think I have figured out that I need at least a 30a MPPT controller and lifepo4 batteries (12 or 24V?) What else do I absolutely need and what bells and whistles will make this system great (assuming these panels will even work on my trailer.
I am a newbie to solar, I have 10k grid tie on the house (professionally installed) and a harbor freight 110w in the camper now. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Other than the panels and mppt, what you will need:
Connector lugs: 10A or more, depending on your panel wiring
MC4 connectors, a pair of MC4 spliter if you plan to parallel the panels (12V system)
Fuses: you need 3, from solar to MPPT, MPPT to battery, battery to load/inverter
Wires: size depending on your current/panel wiring
see: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html

PMax 136W, voltage at PMax 33V, current at PMax 4.1A, short circuit current 5.1A, open circuit voltage 46.2V

These panels are 18 feet long and 15 inches wide, originally designed for placing Between the ribs on a steel roof.
I have room to run 2 of these on my trailer, getting them super cheap so want to try them if it is feasible.

I have 6 xunlight XRS19 panels which are almost identical to the uni-solar your have, just another company that went out of business. I have them laying on my Lanai roof. I have a victron smart solar 100/30 mppt charge controller. The specs on the xunlight are basically the same as the uni-solar, so with a voc of 46 I have 2 in series and 3 strings in parallel going into the mppt. I've only had them on the roof for about a week, but have seen 800+ watts from them. I'm using a 24 volt 120ah lifepo4 battery from aliexpress. I love the victron gear as you can either using bluetooth to see the specs, or use a raspberry pi to capture the information and send it to their vrm website for monitoring. It's a great way to see what's going on with your system. Some pics:
IMG_5136.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 11.43.34 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 11.45.43 AM.jpg

PMax 136W, voltage at PMax 33V, current at PMax 4.1A, short circuit current 5.1A, open circuit voltage 46.2V

These panels are 18 feet long and 15 inches wide, originally designed for placing Between the ribs on a steel roof.
I have room to run 2 of these on my trailer, getting them super cheap so want to try them if it is feasible.
24v would work well I would have panels in parallel to prevent shading issues.

Ordered 2 8 cell 12v 100a lifepo4 batteries will run them together for 24v 100amps. Will a 30a controller be sufficient or should I go to 40a? Cost difference, worth it or not?

Back