diy solar

diy solar

2 wire start from 8048 to 22kw generac

Smarsh

Hi all. I have recently built my first off-grid system. I have the outback radian 8048 inverter and a 22kw generac generator. I have having an issue with the AGS. Its my understanding that the wiring from the inv to the gen is a 2 wire control circuit from the 12vdc aux in the inverter to the 12+ and 12- in the generator. I have this part done but havent been able to auto start the generator.
I have gone into the Mate3, generator hot key, and tried to auto-start the generator from there but nothing happened. Any help is appreciated.

I have gone into the Mate3, generator hot key, and tried to auto-start the generator from there but nothing happened.
Welcome! Sounds like a great project.

The handful of 2 wire starts that I've fiddled with were dry contacts. EG: it was opening or closing a contact but not sending voltage to the generator.

The handful of 2 wire starts that I've fiddled with were dry contacts. EG: it was opening or closing a contact but not sending voltage to the generator.
Yes, I'll cast a second vote. While there are probably exceptions, all the 2 wire generators I have connected up supplied their own control voltage and all they needed is a dry contact closure. If the Radian puts out 12V (Schneider does also) you will need to secondary relay module with a 12V coil and a NO set of contacts. I just saw that exact device on the internet the other night but didn't pay much attention. Sorry.
I needed the same thing so just did a quick PCB on KiCAD and had it made then soldered on a 4 position screw terminal and the relay. All through hole components, easy to hand solder. Let me know if you need a 12V to dry contact conversion PCB I believe I still have a few parts to make one up.

Last edited:
Hi all. I have recently built my first off-grid system. I have the outback radian 8048 inverter and a 22kw generac generator. I have having an issue with the AGS. Its my understanding that the wiring from the inv to the gen is a 2 wire control circuit from the 12vdc aux in the inverter to the 12+ and 12- in the generator. I have this part done but havent been able to auto start the generator.
I have gone into the Mate3, generator hot key, and tried to auto-start the generator from there but nothing happened. Any help is appreciated.
I am assuming this is a standby whole house generator.
I have a Siemens but the same thing. I have the invision 2 controller or something like that. I had the add two wire to the molex plug on the underneath of it. I also had to go into the controller and select 2 wire start. Password required.
They don’t want you doing the 2 wire, they know you will actually be using it rather than it sitting in standby. They sell one set up for 2 wire start it cost more and shorter warranty.
I ran mine through a contacter with a time delay to allow generator to warm up before working hard. Mine is 11 Kw. I have it coming on automatically on SOC and a manual switch.

Will add to what OzSolar said.....so the generator supplies the power and the GS8048 closes a contact to send that power back to the generator to tell it to start.

So you should be able to connect the two wires at the generator to make it start and run....when you disconnect the two wires at the generator it should stop running...it is a very simple way to do it.

One could just wire it to a switch in say your house and flip switch on and gen starts....flip switch off it stops....the GS8048 is acting as a switch and that is all.

One could just wire it to a switch in say your house and flip switch on and gen starts....flip switch off it stops....the GS8048 is acting as a switch and that is all.
That's actually how I've done it several times.

It's probably just me but I've found letting your gear control the generator automatically to be a bit more flaky that I feel it should be. Keep in mind most of this comes with FLA where you are guessing at state of charge with voltage. I've only set one system up with LifeP04 using Victron gear. It must be working OK because I've not heard anything back? But then again I blocked that customer's phone number...

Easy. Generac on the control module backside 2 plug in connectors. you need plug 2 wires pins into wire harness. (empty holes). Those 2 wires run to your inverter. There is like 5 different control module models for Generac. Each one has a pin number where 2 wire start plugs in.

You don't use 12vdc for 2 wire start that's why it's not working. Installed ton Generacs with inverters. You need buy 2 pins

You need buy 2 pins connectors. They plug into the wire harness connector plug on the backside of your current module controller. So no need to buy a module.... Generac has 5 different model of module controllers. Depending on your model is where the pin plugs in. As they are few empty spots on the connector. The 2 most common controllers is evolution 1.0 and 2.0.

Evolution 1.0 is pin 5 on j1 connector and pin 11 on j2 connector. Evolution 2.0 controller is pin 18 on j1 plug and pin 10 for j2 plug.

Back