diy solar

diy solar

3-wire Generator start to 2-Wire actuated w/ Cerbo GX

veearnis

I am in the process of wiring a AGS module to a Generac 5000e diesel generator. I THINK i have identified the START/STOP/COMMON wires from the switch BUT i want to make sure and also have a few questions. Hopefully someone with far more knowledge and experience than I can help!

I have included the wiring diagrams for each. The first pic is the Generac switch wiring diagram. This is what I think, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong! On the switch, Terminal 6 is START, Terminal 3 is RUN. I THINK Terminal 5 is STOP...I am not sure at all and I need help with identifying for sure. I THINK the Gray wire coming from Terminal 85 in the start relay going to the oil pressure switch is COMMON. Again, I am not sure and would like help to identify.

The second pic is the wiring diagram for the AGS module. It requires wiring START/STOP/ COM and that brings the system down to NO/COM which the Cerbo can trigger.

One question i have: On the Generac switch, do i need to splice Terminal 6 and 3 together and wire into the START Terminal of the AGS? I dont understand how the module will keep the generator running if there is no contact.

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 7.55.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-08-10 at 7.55.12 PM.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 10
  • s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 7
Is the switch on the generator the same as in a car, 3 position? Off, On, Start

The way I'm reading the wiring diagram Pin 3 in the generator is a Run/Stop contact and 6 is a momentary contact for the starter motor solenoid.

Terminal 2 in the switch is the source of 12V+ which is Common to both Term 3 and 6 and is the source of power. So Com on the AGS just needs to be connected to 12V+ from the starter battery.

So there is no terminal block on the gen for connecting an external auto start module You will have to get direct access to pin 3 & 6 on the gen.

Is there any additional instructions that came with the AGS?

Is the switch on the generator the same as in a car, 3 position? Off, On, Start

The way I'm reading the wiring diagram Pin 3 in the generator is a Run/Stop contact and 6 is a momentary contact for the starter motor solenoid.

Terminal 2 in the switch is the source of 12V+ which is Common to both Term 3 and 6 and is the source of power. So Com on the AGS just needs to be connected to 12V+ from the starter battery.

So there is no terminal block on the gen for connecting an external auto start module You will have to get direct access to pin 3 & 6 on the gen.

Is there any additional instructions that came with the AGS?
Thanks for the reply! If it is a three position switch, the Start is so subtle that you can't notice it. It appears that pressing the top of the switch starts and runs and pressing bottom of the switch stops. It is not required to keep holding the switch down to start.

When you say direct access to the pins 3/6...does that mean I can't splice from the wires running from those pins? If I can which wire would I splice into on pin 6? Or use both?

Unfortunately, there are no other instructions with the AGS.

From the gen diagram is not completely clear what is happening inside the push button switch or where starter control is coming from hopefully someone else with that type of 3 wire generator can help.

Back