diy solar

diy solar

220V cable at 200 Feet

Thanks Everyone! That helps a lot! And if I was to add a second bank of panels in parallel with the original ones, I’d have the same voltage over the 10Ga wire, but at 20 amps?

Thanks Everyone! That helps a lot! And if I was to add a second bank of panels in parallel with the original ones, I’d have the same voltage over the 10Ga wire, but at 20 amps?
Correct
Also, when you say 10Ga, Solid or Stranded? I’m assuming stranded.
Either is fine. But stranded is easy to pull through conduit.

I mean, if i was running 200' of wire in conduit, i would run a spare pair for easy future expansion, or troubleshooting.
Yeah.. I just had to put in 270ft of two pairs of 10AWG but ran an extra 2 wires for a total of 6 wires just in case for future. Also included pull tape (since I had extra anyways) with the wires just in case that wasn't enough and needed to pull more.. As an extra extra backup ran a 2nd run of conduit since I never wanted to have to hand dig that amount of trench again! :LOL:

Last edited:
I mean, if i was running 200' of wire in conduit, i would run a spare pair for easy future expansion, or troubleshooting.
OK, I see. I always leave some poly draw string in my ducting, so easy to pull another pair later.

You really aren't supposed to pull more conductors in a conduit with existing conductors. The moving conductors can rub through the insulation of the stationary conductors.
The correct way is to pull out the existing conductors and pull all in together.

You really aren't supposed to pull more conductors in a conduit with existing conductors. The moving conductors can rub through the insulation of the stationary conductors.
The correct way is to pull out the existing conductors and pull all in together.
Well, I learnt something new today, thank you (y)

Not that it's germain but for a given Va, A/C has greater line loss than D/C.

Point in case, your inverter draws current just sitting there.

DC is more efficient for nearly everything other than voltage changes.

So yeah, run DC and get the voltage up up up.

AC and DC have the same losses at the same currents for short distances. At longer distances for AC the current is only flowing on the outsides of the wires (skin effect) which increase the resistance that the current sees.

At longer distances for AC the current is only flowing on the outsides of the wires (skin effect)
Not sure skin effect would have any significance for AC at 50/60Hz at the wire diameters the OP would be considering :unsure:

Back