diy solar

diy solar

24v 4000w DIY SOLAR BLUEPRINT

bat6mm

I build this above solar system. Question: with this system the inverter runs until the batteries reach the cut off voltage (about 21v), if there are cloudy days there is no charging for the batteries. If grid power fails and the batteries are low there is no emergency power. How can I add a charger to fill batteries up in this situation?

My inverter does not have a charger built into it. I don't understand your comment about a generator powering a 120v ac to dc charger. There is no generator in this system.

You need a generator or some power source. You can't charge your batteries with magic.

Without sun and without grid power, you will need an alternative power source (such as a generator, or other alternative energy source), or you will need a big enough battery bank to last the duration of either (1) the time between sunny days (2) the duration of the grid failure

If you inverter doesn't have a charger, you would need to add a standalone charger.

If grid power fails and the batteries are low there is no emergency power. How can I add a charger to fill batteries up in this situation?

This makes it sound like the problem is that your batteries are low, when the grid failure begins? is that accurate?

Might be a poorly stated post. The scenario would be cloudy day, mains available, solar being drawn on so not recharging much if all and battery becomes discharged to some degree, power goes out, followed shortly thereafter by backup since battery is low.

If that's the case any mains charger appropriate for the battery voltage / chemistry / amp charging rate etc on the battery's posts would be good enough to charge the battery during cloudy periods.

Thanks for the input. To only charge when necessary, I am thinking about a relay on the inverter output that would turn the charger on when the inverter shuts down. Comments?

Better yet, stop hammering your batteries. There are devices that can monitor voltage and take pre-programmed options. You could have a battery monitor that waits for the battery voltage to drop to 22.4 and then activate a relay on the grid supply leg of the charger to charge the batteries. You could have it turn off at a pre-programmed peak voltage as well.

You would need the charger I linked and something like an ECPC404 battery monitor with a contactor. You would program it to close the contactor at 22.8V (guessing) and turn off at 28V. You can make both whatever you want.

This unit is not specific to this company. You can find it from many other sources. You would then need a 24V relay rated for 120 or 240VAC depending on your need.

Back