diy solar

diy solar

24v to 12v converter question

Geokilroy

Is there a problem having a 24v to 12v converter running 24/7 in my motorhome? Should I shut it down if I'm parking the rig idle for a few weeks at a time? Are they designed to run constant?

I have a Victron Orion 24/12 volt 70 amp converter running for 4 months straight. I will shut it down in a few weeks when I shut the batteries off for three months and put it in storage for the summer.

Is there a problem having a 24v to 12v converter running 24/7 in my motorhome? Should I shut it down if I'm parking the rig idle for a few weeks at a time? Are they designed to run constant?
The converter doesn't care whether you are using the motorhome for a few weeks straight or if the motorhome is sitting unused in your driveway for a few weeks.

I live full-time in my trailer. My 24V-12V converter has been running 24/7 for the last 8 months. And it's one of the cheap Amazon 40A buck converters. Though I rarely get it much past 10A ever. Usually it's under 5A so it's not getting pushed very hard at all.

My question to you is what would be drawing power while your motorhome is unused for weeks at a time? If you have load going through the converter then your battery will run down unless you keep the motorhome plugged into shore power or you have solar to recharge the battery.

Back