diy solar

diy solar

280Ah battery case

coconup

Hi everyone, first post here but I've been an avid reader and follower of Will on YT. Also, this is probably the lamest question ever but here it goes.

I just purchased a pack of 4x 280Ah cells from Shenzhen Basen on Alibaba. I cannot seem to find a decent case for it either on there or on Aliexpress. What I came across so far is either too small or too big. For smaller packs (90-100Ah) I've been happily using these, which imho offer just the perfect size for cells + BMS: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000535313542.html

What is everyone here using for their 280Ah batteries?

Oh that looks perfect, do you have a link where to get them by any chance?

While cruising through Walmart this week, I spotted a NOCO battery case that looked like it might fit a 4s battery. Would the compression frame also fit in the case? I don't know, I didn't pull it off the shelf to check the dimensions.

They produce a lot of battery cases, most of which are intended to be deployed outdoors, probably on the tongue of a trailer. Link to their battery case page: https://no.co/products/storage

Ok this confuses me. I was under the impression you needed an inch or so around the batteries for air to keep them cool.
Am I mistaken? Or have I missed something here?
Thank you.

It's important to keep in mind these cells need to be placed in a fixture that will keep them from expanding. This will increase the cycle life and prevent stress on the cells terminals. So when thinking about a box to house these in one needs to allow room for the fixture. I am planning on using .5 inch plywood and threaded rods. Simple and effective.

My cells are strapped together then and piece of 3/4 plywood wedged in to keep everything tight. As for cooling I guess if you are drawing max current it might be and issue. But I have 16 cells in 4s4p and will only be drawing a max of 160amps and that is for a microwave which only runs a short time a few times a day. IMHO don't see a heat issue.

Below is a pic. Just started my install on my 40ft 5th wheel.

Greg

20201001_164030.jpg

Last edited:
My cells are strapped together then and piece of 3/4 plywood wedged in to keep everything tight. As for cooling I guess if you are drawing max current it might be and issue. But I have 16 cells in 4s4p and will only be drawing a max of 160amps and that is for a microwave which only runs a short time a few times a day. IMHO don't see a heat issue.

Greg

View attachment 24089
Depending on where the inverter is located you will have it contributing to the rising heat than the batteries themselves.

Greg

View attachment 24089

Nice! That's a lot of power.

i-got-da-5c7062.jpg

The inverter is ab0ve the battery bank. I will be posting the build details when done.

Greg

Greg
Well for crying out loud. The way some talk it is like when I use my 280 Ah batteries with a max 27 amps that they will overheat in minutes.
Thanks a lot guys for setting this issue straight.
I was very concerned.
So mostly it will be the outside temp when riding I will have to worry about.
Got it and thanks for clearing that up. :)

Handles, foam insulation, heating pad, plywood and threaded metal rod to samwich it all together.
Somehow hopefully this fits into a milk crate or something like a rugged battery box.
I live where it gets cold, had to warm up my Lifepo motorcycle battery to start the thing...

Well for crying out loud. The way some talk it is like when I use my 280 Ah batteries with a max 27 amps that they will overheat in minutes.
Thanks a lot guys for setting this issue straight.
I was very concerned.
So mostly it will be the outside temp when riding I will have to worry about.
Got it and thanks for clearing that up. :)

I'm more concerned with my cells getting cold (< 32° F) than I am about them heating. The caveat to that is that I don't expect to do high C discharges. My discharge pattern would be low C, for two, maybe three days, depending on the weather.

I'm more concerned with my cells getting cold (< 32° F) than I am about them heating. The caveat to that is that I don't expect to do high C discharges. My discharge pattern would be low C, for two, maybe three days, depending on the weather.
Yes, the more I read here the more I to am slightly more concerned about the cold than the heat. It does not get below minus 20 here hardly at all though. So the batteries are safe for usage. I just have to let them warm up before charging them is all. :)

I also now know that while caution is needed when lifepo gets cold. They are always safe and restored when warmer up again. However when they get too hot they will die. So like all electronics. Heat is the enemy.

Thanks guys. :)

Do you guys reckon a couple of Plexiglas plates the size of the cell's sides, strapped around the pack using something like this will work as a fixture? I'd like to go for that battery case which is nice and compact, but still build up the pack into a fixture

You can certainly use such strapping BUT you will have to have something to ensure you do not crush the casing corners when snugging everything up. Many people use the Nylon Mesh Strapping warehouses use to bundle packages onto pallets, similar to these: https://www.uline.ca/BL_2752/Uline-Polypropylene-Strapping-Kits

BTW: If you have a friend who works in Shipping / Receiving anywhere, they likely have access to the stuff and you could ask them if you could pay them a couple of bucks... or even ask the local Hardware Big Box store.

I recently purchased a large sheet of "Optix" LINK: https://plaskolite.com/catalog/optix-acrylic/ which is 10mm thick. I was hesitant with it as my previous experiences with such products has been a tad iffy, you might say. After measuring out and marking my pieces, I used my Circular Saw with a Freud Diablo Blade (they are premium coated cutting blades) and surprisingly it cut the Optix beautifully and no melting or such (which I expected). I believe the blade may have had a lot to do with it as it never even got warm and the coating prevents anything from sticking to the blade.

I know this is outside of solar stuff, but I built my home, outbuildings and lots of other stuff, right down to milling my own baseboards, casings & trim. I went through a wide assortment of blades from different companies over the years, and I have to say, the Diablo blades are absolutely the Cat's Meow and they last, cut through everythng and always a very clean cut. Sure they cost more but they really outlast most any other blade.

I used my Circular Saw with a Freud Diablo Blade (they are premium coated cutting blades) and surprisingly it cut the Optix beautifully and no melting or such (which I expected). I believe the blade may have had a lot to do with it as it never even got warm and the coating prevents anything from sticking to the blade.

Diablo blades are absolutely the Cat's Meow and they last, cut through everythng and always a very clean cut. Sure they cost more but they really outlast most any other blade.
Good to know about the Freud diablo blade. Thanks :)

Back