diy solar

diy solar

2AWG connection to Samlex PST-600 12 problem

Spleeft

I've spec'd 2 AWG wire to the Samlex PST-600 12 inverter and the manual says to use the provided "pin lug " and not tighten the set screw down on large guage stranded wire. Makes sense. But the provided pin connector is too small for 2 AWG. What are my options to make a good connection? Can I shave a few strands off the 2 AWG wire and make it fit in the provided pin crimp connector?
Pic is my test of actually just sticking the stranded wire end in and tightening it down.

Attachments

• pincrimpconnection.jpg
    pincrimpconnection.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 17
  • strands spread1.jpg
    strands spread1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 16
By 'trimming' the conductors you are effectively turning the cable into a 3AWG or 4AWG cable, which might not then be suited to the load.

You could, of course, buy a larger lug but, as @Craig, says, if they fit into the unit as is, that might be your easiest option. The only caution would be how the terminal block connects to the cable. If it's just a screw that screws into the cable strands, I would avoid doing this but one where 'jaws' close up around the cable, this should be fine.

Take care to avoid any 'stragglers' - you don't want a short.

By 'trimming' the conductors you are effectively turning the cable into a 3AWG or 4AWG cable, which might not then be suited to the load.

You could, of course, buy a larger lug but, as @Craig, says, if they fit into the unit as is, that might be your easiest option. The only caution would be how the terminal block connects to the cable. If it's just a screw that screws into the cable strands, I would avoid doing this but one where 'jaws' close up around the cable, this should be fine.

Take care to avoid any 'stragglers' - you don't want a short.

The audio guys use big un-insulated ferrules for this type of connection.
Hopefully you can find a pin lug that fits the wire and the terminal.

The manual has part numbers

"To ensure firm contact, a pair of pin type terminal lugs have been provided as follows:
• PST-600: For up to AWG#2 or 35 mm2 wire size (Part No. PTNB 35-20)
• PST-1000: For up to AWG#1/0 or 50 mm2 wire size (Part No. PTNB 50-20)" -- manual

The second pic is what the wire looks like after Ive connected and tightened maybe that will do. Its def not "jaws". Ive searched for these pin type lugs and there isnt much out there and I'm totally unfamiliar how they are actually applied for use. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• samlexpins.jpg
    samlexpins.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 15
The manual has part numbers

"To ensure firm contact, a pair of pin type terminal lugs have been provided as follows:
• PST-600: For up to AWG#2 or 35 mm2 wire size (Part No. PTNB 35-20)
• PST-1000: For up to AWG#1/0 or 50 mm2 wire size (Part No. PTNB 50-20)" -- manual
Yes I have the provided lugs that came with my 600, but theres no way its big enough for 2 AWG, unless its just my novice crimping skills. Ill check and see if I can obtain the PST 1000 lugs.

Yes I have the provided lugs that came with my 600, but theres no way its big enough for 2 AWG, unless its just my novice crimping skills. Ill check and see if I can obtain the PST 1000 lugs.

I think a ferrule that fits would be a better solution than a pin terminal that is 2 sizes too big.
Certainly better than one that is 1 size too small.
Raw wire is probably fine also.

It'll help a lot as it will make all the strands act like one solid wire. It's the poor's man ferrule :)

Just be careful to not overheat and don't put too much solder, just enough so all the strands are together like this but that's too much for example.

Hold the phone, the pin terminal that is meant to come with your inverter should fit 2 awg cable.
Actually it should fit 35mm square which is slightly larger than 2 awg.
I'm curious why it doesn't.

Hold the phone, the pin terminal that is meant to come with your inverter should fit 2 awg cable.
Actually it should fit 35mm square which is slightly larger than 2 awg.
I'm curious why it doesn't.
Unless there is a "trick' to it, I cant get it to work. These other two lugs work fine.

Attachments

• lug 3.jpg
    lug 3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 14
  • lug2.jpg
    lug2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 15
  • lug1.jpg
    lug1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 14
This would be true if the distance was of significance, but in this case it's maybe 1-2mm or so? This had been discussed before, and the general consensus was that peeling back a few strands would not be an issue for the incredibly short distance.
Also, think about the size of the pin. It's far smaller than the wire its connected to, and solid, not stranded to boot. If it can be done with the pin, I'm not seeing an issue here.

However, if it were me, I'd get the correct adapter or tin the wire.

Also thinking.... when the pin is inserted, how much of the circumference of the pin actually makes contact with the screw? A bit on the bottom where it contacts, and a bit on the top where the screw clamps down. A small fraction of the surface area/diameter of the original wire. If that's an acceptable config by the manufacturer, I'd have no issue whatever losing a few strands.

Removing a few strands of wire to get a good solid connection will not cause a voltage drop. Think about how small the fuse wire is. For extremely short distances there will be no degradation.

Update:
I sent Samlex support a message on Sunday .Still waiting to hear back before I make the the final connections on my DIY solar component insturment panel ( geez this is fun ! ) Other wise I'm leaning towards the tinning recco's BiduleOhm posted. thnx for all the help!

Attachments

• mpptinvertpnl1.jpg
    mpptinvertpnl1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 7
from your pictures we see the following inner diameters
pin terminal=0.26" between to 2 and 1 awg which corresponds well with 25mm square.
ring terminal 1=0.29" between to 1 and 0 awg
ring terminal 2=0.33" between 0 and 0/0 awg
Are the lugs euro sizes?
Which ring terminal fits the wire you have best?
What size is the wire?
Is the wire euro size?

Last edited:
I don’t think anything is Euro . My 2 AWG wire fits the other two perfect, but no way fits the pin lug.

This just in from Samlex,
“Removing some of the strands from the wire, enough so that the wire will insert into the holes, is the what you need to do. The PST600’s maximum current is less than what the 2AWG will handle so the wire diameter can be less for a short distance (just for the connection) as that will not impact the Voltage drop which is the main reason for the larger cable.”
Thanks for all the replies/ insight , def learned some things .

Best regards

This just in from Samlex,
“Removing some of the strands from the wire, enough so that the wire will insert into the holes, is the what you need to do. The PST600’s maximum current is less than what the 2AWG will handle so the wire diameter can be less for a short distance (just for the connection) as that will not impact the Voltage drop which is the main reason for the larger cable.”
Thanks for all the replies/ insight , def learned some things .

Best regards
I was just going to ask if the really large cable was to avoid voltage drop when I saw your final post. I have run into this problem with long runs and large cables... I ended up trimming a few strands based on the same logic that Samlex provided. (I have to admit that it did not 'feel' right to trim strands though. If I would have had time, I would have waited till I could get the right lug)

diy solar

diy solar
Back