diy solar

diy solar

2p8s pack misbehaving cells

interestingfellow

TLDR possibly replacing two cells misbehaving in my 2p8s EVE280 pack that I built 2 years ago for my camper. Victron multiplus and 2kw of solar on the roof
Daly 250 smart bms
No1 is charging faster/higher than the rest of the pack and
no4 is charging slower than the rest of the pack
See pics. I noticed because I went from warm a** south texas to cold a** (but above freezing) alabama the other day and I guess that lowered the internal resistance and charged the battery faster than the bms could bleed off the high cell causing a Cell HV shutdown, bringing the situation to my attention.
I am about to order more EVE280 cells and am concerned about swapping out those two cells for two brand new cells. Obviously it's better to have cells that are matched and balanced, etc, but I'm also not trying to order extra cells and weed through them leaving a pile of unused extras. I am also not made of money
?
LOL. FYI, I'm ordering more cells to make x2 280ah 8s packs with bms for redundancy and to increase my current capacity from 14kw to 28kw. I also realize that my pack is 2p8s, so in all reality it could just be 1 of the actual eve280's in each pair that's high or low? etc. I am going to check them when I go to fix the pack.
I am looking for advice and suggestions.
I am going to run my additional active balance board to see if I can't get the cells to all balance, but that isn't going to really change the two misbehaving cells moving forward. I also considered rewiring the pack to 16p1s and top balancing which would let me check all 16 cells individually, but that's a lot of effort that may have the same short term result after the balance.
I assembled this pack 2 years ago and lived off grid in my camper full time for a solid year, and part time since. It runs from %20-100% regularly. The multiplus is limited to a constant 2kw because of where I plug it in (20amp outlet)(but often limited to 1000w/10a outlet for convenience) and of course my solar maxes out at 2kw by it's nature.
Thank you for your polite and non condescending help and comments.
I'm not nearly as dumb as you might think, I only included minimal information to address the problem in question.

Attachments

• Image5441701419115961109.jpg
    Image5441701419115961109.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Image8911016963941043783.jpg
    Image8911016963941043783.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 26
I would remove the bus bars and clean and apply some noalox .... and move the cells around keeping track of their original positions.
This would help determine if the the cells are an issue or just degradation of come of the bus bar contacts over time.

Sunshine, I have done no diagnostics beyond monitoring the voltages while charging. I wanted to look around and ask a few questions before tearing anything apart.

Yes, Bob TY
I did use SS studs and nuts and made my own 1/4" copper bus bars with noalox on all the connections. it has been problem free until recently.

I should add that a structural problem put stress on the balance lead for the battery pack that could have slowly unplugged it and contributed to uneven balance charge behavior. I just realized this. I'm working on correcting the wall issue now.

The double bus bar of between #4 and #5 might be causing the issues.

Try the cleaning of terminals as suggested

Back