diy solar

diy solar

2x Multiplus, or Quattro 2x120

MeSteve

I currently have a single 12v multiplus, on a mobile 120/240 installation and am considering either an additional multiplus or a quattro 2x120, but neither do everything im looking for. I can invert split phase with 2 multis, or get rid of the manual transfer switch with the quattro.

If I do the multis, I can invert split phase and save money by dropping to a 30a connection (I have 2600 watts of solar, nearly 1k ah of battery), but keep the transfer switch, or

I can put in the quattro 2x120 and get rid of the transfer switch and simplify my system some. This would also remove the need for an orion with the 4a charge circuit.

My question to the group is, what considerations am i overlooking?

Please confirm you fully understand what a 2x120 unit is. It is NOT split phase. It is still a single phase 120V inverter that intelligently handles switching back and forth between 15/30A single phase and 50A split phase shore power.

When on shore you will ONLY be able to charge to the L1 leg. L2 leg is simply passed through.

What features are they lacking?

I understand what the 2x120 doesn’t do, and I understand why you asked rereading my post…

My advantage on the 2x multis is being a able to run off a single 30a, while shore powering L1 and inverting L2 to make 240 split phase…

I understand what the 2x120 doesn’t do, and I understand why you asked rereading my post…

My advantage on the 2x multis is being a able to run off a single 30a, while shore powering L1 and inverting L2 to make 240 split phase…

Charging from only the L1 inverter requires that you disable "switch as group" on the Victron VE.Bus System Configurator on a PC with a MK3-USB adapter. If the two inverters are configured in parallel already, this setting can be toggled through VRM remove VEConfig changes. It is not settable via any other means.

The secondary advantage is if you are plugged into 50A shore, you get charging on both legs.

neither do everything im looking for.

I'm still curious what else you're looking for.

I’m looking for things I haven’t considered, like not being able to automatically charge from one leg vs two; so in addition to the transfer switch, I have to remember to change inverter settings…

I’m looking for things I haven’t considered, like not being able to automatically charge from one leg vs two; so in addition to the transfer switch, I have to remember to change inverter settings…

Nope. If you disable "switch as group," it automatically handles it.

The only setting you'll need to change is AC input current limit. That can be done easily with VRM/Cerbo or the remote control panel if you have one.

If you plug into 15/30A shore power, it will passthru/charge from the L1 inverter and the L2 inverter will continue inverting. If you plug into 50A shore power, you will get passthru/charging on both legs.

I “think” if you have two “MultiPlus’s” setup in a 240v configuration- both legs 120v-

When on 50a (I.e. 240v input) both chargers will charge the battery quickly… But if/when you are connected to a 15a or 30a 120v input - both sides get 120v - but it one side will be out of phase - my understanding is that the side that is in the proper phase will charge the batteries- but at the same time that is out of phase will use the battery to power the 120v. So depending on how much power you are using - you could be draining the power faster than the charger can fill the battery.

Nope. If you disable "switch as group," it automatically handles it.

The only setting you'll need to change is AC input current limit. That can be done easily with VRM/Cerbo or the remote control panel if you have one.

If you plug into 15/30A shore power, it will passthru/charge from the L1 inverter and the L2 inverter will continue inverting. If you plug into 50A shore power, you will get passthru/charging on both legs.
When would you enable “switch as group”?

When would you enable “switch as group”?

If you NEVER want to charge from 120V only.

Switch as group means the inverters will only sync to a compatible source as a group. Since they're in split phase, this requires a split phase source. If you supplied 120V, they would just ignore it when "switch as group" is enabled.

Last edited:
If you NEVER want to charge from 120V only.

Switch has group means the inverters will only sync to a compatible source as a group. Since they're in split phase, this requires a split phase source. If you supplied 120V, they would just ignore it when "switch as group" is enabled.
Thank you

If you have four Multiplus instead of two do they act the same but in pairs? You can charge on one leg with two?

Back