diy solar

diy solar

2x80W panels in series: What is a reasonable current to expect?

Abongers

Hi, I just bought a new MPPT controller Renogy Rover) to pimp up and re build my cheap 160w (2x80W) foldable solarpanels. I have rewired my foldable panel parts to go in series, so I get ~36V.
I now wired up the system and tried it out during a very rainy day.
My problem is that the display of the controller I read a current of only about 0.6A and a panel voltage of 34V. The latter is ok as I have both panel in series, but tge current seems very low to me.
My question is twofold:

1. Is the current shown on my controller display (I am using a Renogy Rover 20A) to be understood as BEFORE or AFTER the controller (assuming the amps would be transformed upwards when the panel delivers 36V peak)? (if it is before the panel would deliver a power of 36Vx0.6A=21W, if it was the current between controller and battery the panel would deliver 12Vx0.6A=7.2W only(!))

2. Is the low current of only 0.6A shown (or 21W assuming the current is beetween panel and controller) on the display in rainy weather a reasonable value for a 2x80W system with both panels connected in series, or is something wrong?

Thanks a lot!

After. The Volt/Amp rating of your Rover is the voc*T° going from your panels to your Solar Charge Controller and the Amp # is Amps going from your SCC to your Battery Bank.
Watts = Volts x Amps.
160 = 36 x Amps
Amps = 160/36 = 4.44amps
*the cloudy weather can definitely impact your panels performance. Does the Renogy monitor show panel output? Plus heavy shade on a series panel PV will significantly lower performance.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your reply. That helps.
Just for me to get that right. Coukd you confirm that yhe following is correct?
The situation before the scc would be the following:
Panel Voltage 36V
Current before: 4.44A
Then the SCC transforms voltage/current to the situation after:
Battery voltage: 12V (or slightly higher)
Current after SCC: 160W/12V=13.3 (under perfect conditions, sun, max power, no losses)

The latter current would be shown on the display of the controller.

Am I correct with all of this?
Sorry, still leatning...

Correct as your SCC lower the voltage to meet your battery bank’s required charging levels. The SCC also sends out a current that will be at or below the SCC’s amp rating.
I have a Victron 150/60 Smart Solar Charge Controller. It doesn’t have a display, but it is a smart Bluetooth device that gives me its live and historical stats. I don’t know what a Rover displays.

Thanks a lot. Read it twice snd looked for it, but couldn't find this info in the manual... or maybe I wasn't able to translate it correctly. In the end everything from the panel to the battery is a charging current. It's just transformed :)

Is the low current of only 0.6A shown (or 21W assuming the current is beetween panel and controller) on the display in rainy weather a reasonable value for a 2x80W system with both panels connected in series, or is something wrong?
That’s reasonable to expect that as normal on a rainy day. Not a good test condition.

Back