diy solar

diy solar

3 weeks off of grid service ..So here’s where it is…

Ya know ,now that you say that, I bought a kit a few years back for doing that…seemed like a cool thing at that time….never have even tried it… I also got a few of the special little one lb tanks and that are rated for refill , with little bronze caps…and some gizmo to hook up the stuff

DIY refill of propane I think carries it's own special risks. I think refilling compressed gas cylinders doesn't have the same pitfalls as refilling something that liquifies. I think propane relies on headspace maybe to allow liquid expansion with temperature.

Not saying it can't be done, but research the method rather than just figuring it out empirically without even RTFM like many of us do most things.

The trick to refilling those one pound cylinders is to use a valve removal tool. The same one you use for removing bicycle and car tire valves. You need to take a hacksaw blade and lengthen the little slot on the tool. When you start refilling you open the valve on the top of the cylinder next to the main opening which allows the liquid to flow into the cylinder with ease. I have filled hundreds of cylinders but must say do at your own risk. Of course do this in open air away from any ignition sources.

DIY refill of propane I think carries it's own special risks. I think refilling compressed gas cylinders doesn't have the same pitfalls as refilling something that liquifies. I think propane relies on headspace maybe to allow liquid expansion with temperature.

Not saying it can't be done, but research the method rather than just figuring it out empirically without even RTFM like many of us do most things.
That why I have never messed with it…the 1 lb tanks arent required by anything I have ,as I bought the proper hoses and filters to run the devices off a 20 tank…..I don’t trust the little 1 lb tanks anyway…I have seen them leak when partially filled but not attached to somthing…

the 20 and 30 lb tanks I have filled at the place who placed my 500 gallon tank…I watch them very closely to be sure they don’t exceed the 80% rule… I trust no one anymore about doin the right thing……..I watch em…

almost got killed once trusting a new person “ fill up” my boats propane tank at the dock.. she did too. TO 100% FULL …not 80% ….and I dint know…it was located in the cockpit in a special type propane locker next to the deisil engine room. it was 100 F degrees outside on the 4th of July.

I didn’t sail at all but motored around the other marinas with 6 passengers.. the combination of hot weather - full tank- and hours of engine room heat blew out the safty plugs on the propane tank Releasing a lot of gas over us filling the whole cockpit area … it had no headroom to expand saftly.
it covered alot of stuff with ice …and a big plume of whiteish gas…with everyone smoking and drinking beer.. I was taken aback as to how ice could be forming in 100 degree weather…I was stunned as to what was happening..
how it didn’t ignite and start the first of the fireworks show scheduled for that nite amazed me…

I don’t even use those 20 lb tanks much anymore except for a workshop heat source or to run a genset in an odd place not near the quick connects on the RV or the big tank….
I keep an eye on propane… it’s sneaky ..
Darwin is alway lurking around watching.

That why I have never messed with it…the 1 lb tanks arent required by anything I have ,as I bought the proper hoses and filters to run the devices off a 20 tank…..I don’t trust the little 1 lb tanks anyway…I have seen them leak when partially filled but not attached to somthing…

the 20 and 30 lb tanks I have filled at the place who placed my 500 gallon tank…I watch them very closely to be sure they don’t exceed the 80% rule… I trust no one anymore about doin the right thing……..I watch em…

almost got killed once trusting a new person “ fill up” my boats propane tank at the dock.. she did too. TO 100% FULL …not 80% ….and I dint know…it was located in the cockpit in a special type propane locker next to the deisil engine room. it was 100 F degrees outside on the 4th of July.

I didn’t sail at all but motored around the other marinas with 6 passengers.. the combination of hot weather - full tank- and hours of engine room heat blew out the safty plugs on the propane tank Releasing a lot of gas over us filling the whole cockpit area … it had no headroom to expand saftly.
it covered alot of stuff with ice …and a big plume of whiteish gas…with everyone smoking and drinking beer.. I was taken aback as to how ice could be forming in 100 degree weather…I was stunned as to what was happening..
how it didn’t ignite and start the first of the fireworks show scheduled for that nite amazed me…

I don’t even use those 20 lb tanks much anymore except for a workshop heat source or to run a genset in an odd place not near the quick connects on the RV or the big tank….
I keep an eye on propane… it’s sneaky ..
Darwin is alway lurking around watching.
Propane and boats don't mix well. The fact that boats are a hole in the water, so to speak , gives propane gas a place to hang out just waiting a spark. Gasoline fumes as well. Good ventilation fans are a must, AFAIAC

Reactions: JRH
Propane and boats don't mix well. The fact that boats are a hole in the water, so to speak , gives propane gas a place to hang out just waiting a spark. Gasoline fumes as well. Good ventilation fans are a must, AFAIAC
True..that’s why I got rid of all the propane on the boat that fall and went to all electric appliances powered by shore or a 7000watt diesel gen set…no more propane for me and the boat..

I lived on Catalina Island for 48 years. One night we heard this huge explosion. It was a 50 foot Cabin Cruiser that had a propane leak. It literally blew the entire top of the boat right off. The hull looked like a 50 foot skiff sitting there in the water.
I have seen that happen to good size boats .. with people asleep inside..never knew what hit em..

Back