diy solar

diy solar

300w ebay panels?

masonsdad

I am designing a remote off grid radio repeater site. I am looking for a 300w panel or equivalent to mount on my antenna tower. I see these small panels on ebay (tatoodaa, eco-baerrs) advertised as 300w, but they are the size of a typical 200w panel. Does anyone have any experience with these panels? I'm tempted by the price ($210 with free shipping). I do not see how this could be a true 300w panel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230501_150704_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230501_150704_eBay.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 34
I do not see how this could be a true 300w panel
It’s supposedly a monocrystalline panel which is slightly more efficient per square foot than poly panels so I’d expect it to be smaller “than expected.”
I put 4 100W mono panels on the front of my camper where only 3.5 polycrystalline panels fit.

However - I think the numbers on that label are either “optimistic” or outright lies. I didn’t confirm or do any math but those are like 200W panels based on size imho

With all these advertised less than claimed wattage panels for sale I imagine that the Forum will start to see more of, "Why is my solar system producing less watts than expected?" questions. Will have to remember to not only ask for the specifications for Voc, Vmp and the like but the actual size of the panels.

I think if you do the math and you know what you're getting it's fine.
I disagree. Advertised claims of capacity should be accurate. Weight and measurements standards exist to prevent being shortchanged.

Is it a flexible panel or rigid? Sounds like BS numbers to me. I've got a few 100w solid panels that I've never seen more than 60w out of.

But, it's "high efficiency." ?
The highest efficiency- time-wise anyway- for a small system is the Rich or WindyNation 2-pak deals that come and go $80/100W panel. If a bigger system NOS or Santan

I’d never shop on eBay. They don’t care.

I am designing a remote off grid radio repeater site. I am looking for a 300w panel or equivalent to mount on my antenna tower.
Sounds like a high-end project,
my advice, don't look for the lowest end PV for this application, in fact look for the highest priced /reliability 300W panel, especially if you only need a few.

Sounds like a high-end project,
my advice, don't look for the lowest end PV for this application, in fact look for the highest priced /reliability 300W panel, especially if you only need a few.
I'm new to all of this. Any suggestions on manufacturers? I have limited space, so one 300w panel is probably the most I can fit due to wind load restrictions on my tower site.

I only have experience with the Canadian Solar 440 Bifacial half-cut panels, so I don't feel qualified to comment on any other brands. I can say I am happy with the Canadian solar I have.
I believe Panasonic, Q-Cells, and LG are all well reviewed. Maybe someone else will chime in on this.
If you only need one, and will need to rely on that one panel, definitely do the research and find a reliable trusted brand.

Back