diy solar

diy solar

31410B Pro/Tran 10-Circuit 30-Amp Indoor Generator Transfer Switch question

solarwant2B

Hello all, this is my first post and am looking for advise.
I am basically looking to run 2 small chest freezers and 1 regular refrigerator during power outages and
when we have good solar days.
According to a killawatt meter all 3 will use 100wh so 2400KW per 24 hours.
I'm looking at getting a EG4 3000EHV-48, EG4 server rack battery(s) and solar panels to charge the battery(s)
with the option to expand the system if this all works well.
I have a Reliance controls 31410B Pro/Tran 10-Circuit 30-Amp Indoor Generator Transfer Switch.

reliance.jpg

I would use 3 circuits of the transfer switch wired to the 3 circuits (breakers) in the main electric
panel that controls the 2 freezers and refrigerator.

My question is it safe or proper to use the transfer switch to power the 3 circuits while utility power
is running the remainder of the circuits in the main electric panel?
I would like the ability to switch power from utility to solar easily.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Mike

Your question is quite timely. EG4 just recently made changes to the firmware of the would support a protran multi-circuit switch.
In their announcement they talked about 'all' of there inverters but then only announced the new firmware for the 6000 and 6500 and there website does not show the 3K having a 'stationary' FW. If you want to learn more about their changes, check out this resource:

I was looking at all this just this morning and considered asking them if there was new firmware coming for the 3K..... so lets do it now:

Hey @BenFromSignatureSolar, Is there a 'stationary' firmware coming for the 3000?

Your question is quite timely. EG4 just recently made changes to the firmware of the would support a protran multi-circuit switch.
In their announcement they talked about 'all' of there inverters but then only announced the new firmware for the 6000 and 6500 and there website does not show the 3K having a 'stationary' FW. If you want to learn more about their changes, check out this resource:

I was looking at all this just this morning and considered asking them if there was new firmware coming for the 3K..... so lets do it now:

Hey @BenFromSignatureSolar, Is there a 'stationary' firmware coming for the 3000?

Thank you @FilterGuy. I am trying to learn as much as possible on this forum without asking a lot of questions as I am finding a lot of my questions have already been answered in other posts. I use the transfer switch in question for a medium sized gas generator during grid down situations and am now realizing that a solar set up should not be any different except for grounding. That topic is for another day as I read more and try to understand it all.

My question is it safe or proper to use the transfer switch to power the 3 circuits while utility power
is running the remainder of the circuits in the main electric panel?
I would like the ability to switch power from utility to solar easily.
I just wired a different Reliance 10 circuit switch for my Nephew's home. As far as I can tell, each circuit is isolated from the grid when it is toggled. His application is the traditional generator but electrically I don't know the difference unless that pesky Ground/Neutral question gets in the way.

Back