diy solar

diy solar

4/0 grid and load wires to/from Sol-Ark 15K through 1.5" conduit?

JimP

Unless I am very confused, the knockouts for AC lines in and out of a Sol-Ark 15K are 1.9", which is 1.5" nominal conduit size.
The Sol-Ark is rated for 4/0 aluminum or copper wire to handle 200A pass through from the grid.
But all the conduit fill charts and calculators I can find agree that even 3 4/0 wires are over the (US) NEC limit for 40% conduit fill, and I need 4 for L1, L2, N, G.

What am I reading or doing or thinking wrong? I am getting ready to install my 15K and making a detailed plan and parts list. I thought flexible/liquidtight vs EMT might be decided by the capacity calculations, but neither passes code that I can figure.

Thanks!

You'll have to increase the KO size for 2" conduit. Your ground wire is sized based on the ungrounded wire size. 4/0 alum needs a #2 alum for the ground wire.

Unless I am very confused, the knockouts for AC lines in and out of a Sol-Ark 15K are 1.9", which is 1.5" nominal conduit size.
The Sol-Ark is rated for 4/0 aluminum or copper wire to handle 200A pass through from the grid.
But all the conduit fill charts and calculators I can find agree that even 3 4/0 wires are over the (US) NEC limit for 40% conduit fill, and I need 4 for L1, L2, N, G.

What am I reading or doing or thinking wrong? I am getting ready to install my 15K and making a detailed plan and parts list. I thought flexible/liquidtight vs EMT might be decided by the capacity calculations, but neither passes code that I can figure.

Thanks!
What is the length of the conduit? Are you using a wire trough?

Conduit less then 24 inches long is allowed to be filled to 60%. If the 200 amp feeder is for all the load of single house/dwelling unit, you can use the sizing in NEC 2020 310.12 and use 2/0 copper.

What is the length of the conduit? Are you using a wire trough?

That is part of what I am trying to decide. It isn't a complex system really, so I was thinking I could do it with flex 1.5" conduit and one junction box to split the grid side for the transfer switch path. But 2" conduit makes that tricky since flex doesn't come that big that I can find. So EMT, and _maybe_ I can keep the runs to 24" or less, and _maybe_ the 2/0 copper will help.

I could use a trough. I read in another thread that <=6" nipples aren't fill limited so that might make 1.5" to a trough feasible.

Conduit less then 24 inches long is allowed to be filled to 60%. If the 200 amp feeder is for all the load of single house/dwelling unit, you can use the sizing in NEC 2020 310.12 and use 2/0 copper.

Does this apply to all 200 runs or just the service entrance itself? I have meter to disconnect, disconnect to 4x polaris in additional box, to both xfer switch and solark grid, then xfer to critical loads panels, sol-ark to critical loads, and sol-ark (from gen/smartload) to optional load panel, all 200A runs, all very short other than 10' from the disconnect to the rest of the system.

4/0 aluminum is a lot cheaper but I can use copper if it makes things a lot simpler or compliant.

Thanks

Does this apply to all 200 runs or just the service entrance itself? I have meter to disconnect, disconnect to 4x polaris in additional box, to both xfer switch and solark grid, then xfer to critical loads panels, sol-ark to critical loads, and sol-ark (from gen/smartload) to optional load panel, all 200A runs, all very short other than 10' from the disconnect to the rest of the system.

4/0 aluminum is a lot cheaper but I can use copper if it makes things a lot simpler or compliant.

Thanks
In your case that rule would really only apply from the meter to the Polaris terminal blocks, unfortunately.

Does this apply to all 200 runs or just the service entrance itself?
It’s all runs that serve the whole load of the residence. I think pvgirl determined the last point at which this applies

Maybe you can avail of feeder tap rule to downsize. 10 ft in appropriate conduit is probably eligible.

Regarding the 24” rule, it resets at the first pull box (I don’t think conduit bodies apply). So you can buy a generously sized box, required by code for the conductor size in question, and use that to transition to bigger conduit.

Back