diy solar

diy solar

48V 50aH Epich battery not charging from my 480W 60Vmp solar panel

Feeat55

Hi - I bought an Epoch battery (manual attached) and it won’t charge via solar, in particular using a 480W 60.5 Vmp (7amp) solar panel and a 100/20 Victron 12/24/48v MPPT.

I read today in the manual the “Charge voltage range” is 56.8V and float voltage “54.4~55.2V” but the recommended charging amperage was 50amps.

I tested my solar panel today with a multimeter today around lunch and it was maxed out at 7.15-7.2 amps.

Does the MPPT compensate for lower amps to help a battery charge anyway ?

Any other ideas what could be the problem ?

Attachments

• Epoch_B4850A.pdf
    452.9 KB · Views: 2
other ideas what could be the problem
Not the amps causing the problem, just takes longer to charge. The Victron charger needs to 'see' battery volts + 5 to start operating.
Assuming the battery is at a resionable SOC, it will have a voltage of around 53 v volts. A bit marginal, depending on the Voc of the panel.
What is the panel volts reported by the Victron app?

Should work, as mikefitz said you might be on the edge of the Victron '5V more than the battery voltage' spec, what are the battery and panel voltages when it fails to charge? Try connecting the panels directly to the battery and see if you get any charging. It might not be optimized, but it should work to prove charge operation.

It's highly unlikely that a single panel will get over 60V which is what a Victron would need to start charging assuming battery was at 55V to begin with.

diy solar

diy solar
Back