diy solar

diy solar

4S or 8S BMS?

It is phase sensitive in the sense that each leg is 180 degrees out of phase with the other.

That is the tricky part about using two inverters to create 240 volts. It is important to know how to make them work properly. Do they create true split phase when sycronised? Or do you just get two 120 volt inputs and no 240? I don't know because my inverter is 240 volt split phase.
The Growatts can be paralleled in multiples including 3 phase.

Speaking of isolation. I read that at some point for 240v, the ground and neutral should be bonded. Any suggestions Ampster?

Are you 240v for an RV?
I meant reply to Elton's earlier comment about using a dogbone. I have a grid tied hybrid and have no experience with RVs but I remember reading about the 30 Amp 120 volt dogbones and why you cant run a 240 volt A/C when using a dogbone.

I meant reply to Elton's earlier comment about using a dogbone. I have a grid tied hybrid and have no experience with RVs but I remember reading about the 30 Amp 120 volt dogbones and why you cant run a 240 volt A/C when using a dogbone.
Yes, the dog bone jumpers the 2 hot circuits. Initially I was going to run a smaller system with a4000w/30a to my 50a RV. I wanted to reuse a 30' length of 8AWG 50a RV connection cable and was using a 30a-50a dog bone. But I increased to run the full 50a/6000w

BTW: There should be only one bond between neutral and ground. If you are plugged into a power monument at a campsite, it will have the N-G bond and there should not be another one on the circuit. When you are not plugged into shore power, a N-G bond needs to be added. Some inverters do this automagicly. If yours does not, you need to figure out how to accomplish it.

Thank you Filterguy. Good info, knew I read it somewhere and I think it mentioned the breaker panel was the best spot. I will check my inverter. :)

Thank you Filterguy. Good info, knew I read it somewhere and I think it mentioned the breaker panel was the best spot. I will check my inverter. :)
For normal on-grid house wiring in the US, the main breaker panel is the only place on premise you should find the N-G bond and the NEC calls it a 'Main Bonding Jumper'. However, in an RV using an inverter and shore power it is usually not in the main AC breaker panel because it has to be dynamically established when not on shore power.

BTW: A lot of this is covered in these two resources:

You may want to follow this thread:

We are trying to figure out what Growatt does on that thread as well.

From that thread, it does look like the Growatt is inserting a N-G bond, but I can't tell if it is permanent or dynamic.

I am in a similar boat as the OP. I am trying to create a DIY 24v pack, but I need 200amp discharge. I have a Schneider SW 4024 4000w inverter and Midnite Solar Classic 150 CC.

I see the OverKill Solar BMS for 8s is only rated for 100amp. But @FilterGuy are you saying in a 8s2p with 2 100amp BMS I would be able to run 200amp discharges?
8s2p.JPG

But wouldn't that create an issue IF say one BMS shut down one 8s string, but the other remained active? As long as my loads did not exceed the 100amp limit of the existing active BMS I would be OK for discharge ... but it seems that with one string active and one string off, would the two series strings be getting way out of balance?

What if I was to build two 4s2p batteries for 12v, each with a 100amp 4s BMS, and then connected both of them in series for 24v. Would that put me back at a total of Only 100amp discharge? Seems that the benefit of that would be if one BMS killed one battery, that it would shut the whole 24v system stopping both charge and discharge to the entire battery bank. But would this even work? Problems / Limitations?
4s2p x2.jpg

I just cannot find what appears to be a reliable 24v 200amp BMS that is drop in, straight forward to install, with monitoring and Hi/Low Temp cut off.

Last edited:
But @FilterGuy are you saying in a 8s2p with 2 100amp BMS I would be able to run 200amp discharges?
Yes. That is possible. However, like you point out there are failure modes and corner cases that need to be understood. People talk about doing series first for 'redundancy' but you have to carefully think it through to know what you are getting.

There are several questions to ask yourself:
  • If one fails, how will I know it failed? This is important to know if you are counting on redundancy to keep you going.
  • If one fails, what will happen to the other one.
    There are a few scenarios here:
    - If the load is less than what the remaining BMS can handle, everything keeps running
    - If the load is way over the limits of the remaining BMS, it will shut down with an over-current. At that point, to take advantage of the redundancy, you would have to shed enough load to get under the BMS limit
    - Perhaps the worst case scenario is that the load is right at the BMS max. At that point you are stress testing the remaining BMS.
  • If one fails, will the remaining one handle the charge current? (The same 3 scenarios apply here as on the load)
but it seems that with one string active and one string off, would the two series strings be getting way out of balance?
Yes they would, but that does not feel like a big issue for parallel batteries. When the bad BMS is fixed, and you start charging, the further discharged one will get charged. You take a chance that the lesser Discharged BMS will hit it's over-voltage disconnect, but after a couple cycles it should balance back out.
What if I was to build two 4s2p batteries for 12v, each with a 100amp 4s BMS, and then connected both of them in series for 24v. Would that put me back at a total of Only 100amp discharge? Seems that the benefit of that would be if one BMS killed one battery, that it would shut the whole 24v system stopping both charge and discharge to the entire battery bank. But would this even work? Problems / Limitations?
That would limit you to the 100A limitation of the BMS. Also, there is no redundancy (if that is an important thing for you)

The best way to reduce current is to run at higher voltage. 4000 Watts at 24 volts is 167 Amps versus 333 Amps at 12 volts. What is your actual load going to be? Is it likely to be 4000 Watts?

Back