diy solar

diy solar

5kW LiFePO4, Which SIMPLE/RELIABLE BMS Would You Recommend? And Why?

JeepHammer

Solar Wizard
What I'm looking for,

For 48V, with S16 arrangement battery.

1. Monitor display for each cell. The cells are the big expense, i need to track what they are doing.

2, REASONABLE balancing wattage. A few 250 mW isn't reasonabl balancing capacity for 5 mW battery.

3, EASILY programmable upper and lower voltage limiter/disconnect. I don't have a BS in computer science, so touchpad/screen/buttons would be best.

4, WORK HORSE. I don't need "Connectivity", I don't need any of that stuff. I want a manually 'Set & Forget' if possible. Whistles & bells not required.

5, Reasonable cost (compared to cells). I have no issues paying for a solid, usable work horse unit, I just don't need, or want, anything other than listed above.

6, I'm building at least 10 of these batteries, so a reputable supplier. Should go without saying, but there it is anyway...

IF... there is somewhere that has long enough wire leads to do 16 cells in a straight line that would be a bonus. One less thing to buy or build (extension harness).

What I'm looking for,

For 48V, with S16 arrangement battery.

1. Monitor display for each cell. The cells are the big expense, i need to track what they are doing.

2, REASONABLE balancing wattage. A few 250 mW isn't reasonabl balancing capacity for 5 mW battery.

3, EASILY programmable upper and lower voltage limiter/disconnect. I don't have a BS in computer science, so touchpad/screen/buttons would be best.

4, WORK HORSE. I don't need "Connectivity", I don't need any of that stuff. I want a manually 'Set & Forget' if possible. Whistles & bells not required.

5, Reasonable cost (compared to cells). I have no issues paying for a solid, usable work horse unit, I just don't need, or want, anything other than listed above.

6, I'm building at least 10 of these batteries, so a reputable supplier. Should go without saying, but there it is anyway...

IF... there is somewhere that has long enough wire leads to do 16 cells in a straight line that would be a bonus. One less thing to buy or build (extension harness).
The JK BMS has all the features you mention. I have one running and very happy with it. Just received 2 additional ones for the rest of my project.

Ordered at Hankzore store at Aliexpress. Delivery was pretty fast.

Many users on this forum use JK as well. Apparently some users seem to run into some issues (not sure if that are 16s configurations).

For me, until now, a perfect simple BMS with great balancing and many parameters to enter.

The JK BMS has all the features you mention. I have one running and very happy with it. Just received 2 additional ones for the rest of my project.

Ordered at Hankzore store at Aliexpress. Delivery was pretty fast.

Many users on this forum use JK as well. Apparently some users seem to run into some issues (not sure if that are 16s configurations).

For me, until now, a perfect simple BMS with great balancing and many parameters to enter.
Happy with mine as well. I have three different battery pack bms in my system so there is no closed loop comms with inverter anyways. Just cycled the entire 280ah pack like once or twice and the max delta during charging to 3.5v each cell is only 50mV. The pacebms and the eg4 lifepower4 bms can’t come close to this even after 100 cycles.

Thanks guys!

I'm a hardware guy (gears & wires), not interested in downloads, connectivity, etc. Too much stuff to keep straight down the road when it needs service and you don't have that computer anymore and/or the download isn't available anymore. Rain into that before...

Call me paranoid, but connectivity is a security issue to me when everything is local and I can check the status every day when I walk by them.

Anyone else have an opinion/recommendation/warning?

The good, the bad and the ugly welcome!

The BMS sold by Overkill Solar is a solid, reliable device. There is no physical monitor for the BMS however. You need to use an app on your phone to look at what is going on. It isn't that bad and not having a physical monitor is one less thing to wire and mount.

The balancing on mine is acceptable. My cells were top balanced and they stay balanced, so I don't need much balancing current.

The BMS sold by Overkill Solar is a solid, reliable device. There is no physical monitor for the BMS however. You need to use an app on your phone to look at what is going on. It isn't that bad and not having a physical monitor is one less thing to wire and mount.

The balancing on mine is acceptable. My cells were top balanced and they stay balanced, so I don't need much balancing current.

I work mine (off grid) and I have batteries spread apart in my home grown solar field, so I like being able to check what the cells have been doing at the battery.

Everything is out of the weather, so don't need waterproof display, but I wouldn't pay a crap ton extra for it.

I've been paying between $120-$180 but I'd go a little extra since these are all new, matched cells, I'd like to have them uniform.

I've found Seplos on BoobTube. Anyone have any hands on experience with these? Any personal use recommendations, good or bad?

I recommend JK.

Tests of most of the brands at Andys:

Off-Grid Garage on YT. He's not a fan of Seplos...

I recommend JK.

Tests of most of the brands at Andys:

Off-Grid Garage on YT. He's not a fan of Seplos...

Thanks, I checked it out.

Sometimes these guys make valid points, sometimes I wonder where they got their ideas from, and plenty glad they aren't working in my garage!

That's 'Andy's Off Grid Garage'?

Typo left me with a doubt I had that correct...? My fat fingers don't fit these little (or any) keyboard, so not about to prang on someone over a typo.

Back