diy solar

diy solar

6000EX-48HV N G wiring check

regoe002

Hey all,
I am planning the installation of my system and have a question about Neutral and Ground connections. This will be a "grid assisted" install. Because my 6000EX-48HV inverter will be installed approximately 50ft away from my main panel I would like to connect everything as the attached diagram. I will be installing the critical loads panel next to my main panel, for ease of moving circuits. Is it ok to feed the critical loads panel N and G wires directly from the main panel and NOT from the AC OUT of the 6000EX-48HV? Would this cause an issue with N and G (bond) if utility power is lost at the main panel (and inverter)? My understanding is the inverter always passes thru the neutral, but im confused on whether it creates an internal NG bond when it senses grid down.
I would like to avoid running extra 50ft+ each N and G wire from the inverter to the critical panel if possible.
Current N/G bond is of course in the Main Panel. IMG_4505 (1).jpg

Let's answer this from two perspectives:

Functionality:
If you get the latest Firmware for the inverter and enable Program 34, the inverter will operate in 'stationary' mode. In this mode, the inverter does NOT generate a N/G bond and it always leaves Neutral-In and Neutral-out connected. In this mode, the diagram you drew should work. In fact, I like it because it avoids loops on both the ground and neutral.

NEC code,
This gets into a bit of a grey area. The code wants the Hots, Neutral, and EGC all to run along the same path. If you run the 50ft to the inverter with all 6 wires in the same conduit, does that count? I don't know. My guess is that even if there is a technical code violation, 99% of the inspectors would not notice and of the ones that do, most would not care.

Let's answer this from two perspectives:

Functionality:
If you get the latest Firmware for the inverter and enable Program 34, the inverter will operate in 'stationary' mode. In this mode, the inverter does NOT generate a N/G bond and it always leaves Neutral-In and Neutral-out connected. In this mode, the diagram you drew should work. In fact, I like it because it avoids loops on both the ground and neutral.

NEC code,
This gets into a bit of a grey area. The code wants the Hots, Neutral, and EGC all to run along the same path. If you run the 50ft to the inverter with all 6 wires in the same conduit, does that count? I don't know. My guess is that even if there is a technical code violation, 99% of the inspectors would not notice and of the ones that do, most would not care.
Thanks FilterGuy!

Back