diy solar

diy solar

60280 Fast Swap Top Balancer + Battery Bank design and feedback request

Shale MacGregor

Solar Enthusiast
Put together a fire hazard with 2 higher amp adjustable Power Supplies, some rod holders from mcmaster carr, and aluminum bars.

After doing a capacity test it takes around 6-8 hours to charge them up to full, swapping them out takes about 2-3 minutes. With 384 of these buggers I had to come up with something in order to top balance. I had originally set it up for 16 but this was more manageable

1633178667682.png

I know it is only really top balancing for 8S preparation, I have another rig to plug them all into to let them top balance for 16S once I have them all sorted by capacity.

I had some duds as mentioned in the other thread but since then things are going smoothly, but quite a variance on some of the IR. .49 to .69 using tester (not calc), and most are in the 52-59 range

1633178997443.png

Settled on a wall mount design using folding sides (may put casters on the bottom), with handles on the side to lift them up and hang it on double french cleats.

2P16S to limit cable thickness , run back to busbar near inverter/charger

get_attachment_url

Stainless straps with rubber coating hold the first row in place and give a buffer between cells, and
also allows the second row to offset and be held in the gap between batteries by gravity / aluminum
plate.

1633179295721.png

I will be using impregnated fire retardant plywood with paint on it and some sort
of acrylic to protect the front.

Besides being needlessy complex I am open to any feedback on my overall design and
if there are any changes or concerns I should have.

Interested to see how your 60280 cell build turns out, thinking of doing a few small 4s box builds myself.

Back