diy solar

diy solar

6500EX Extinct?

DaveZ Solar

Seems the 6500EX is no longer in production? I have 2 presently in service and attempting to buy a spare for backup. New units seem discontinued. Have these gone the way of the dinosaur? Should I wait and move to 6000XP's? The 6500's power output is just right though, would need 3 of the XP's. I suppose my ultimate question is the longevity of the 6500EX...We're full house off grid and need reliability, and my system is only 4 months old.

EG4 has "sunset" the 6500s along with the 6000s and the 8k inverters. Distributors such as Signature Solar may end up selling off their remaining stock, but they won't be getting any new stock.

I know some people have been selling their 6500s because they've upgraded to another platform, so that might be an option for you.

EG4 has "sunset" the 6500s along with the 6000s and the 8k inverters. Distributors such as Signature Solar may end up selling off their remaining stock, but they won't be getting any new stock.

I know some people have been selling their 6500s because they've upgraded to another platform, so that might be an option for you.
I suppose in part my concern is whether it is smarter to bite the bullet now and also change or are these things really going to stand the test of time? Reviews in the spring were good so I moved with that understanding. I like others have had flickering lights that I now have mostly resolved. Everything else has been great. I'm running a 150 amp svc. all electric home off grid with 36 blue sun bi-facials, 2 6500EX's and 6 EG4 Life P04's (basically the build Will posted earlier this year). This system kicks butt! It's all worthless though if one or both inverters fail.

I suppose in part my concern is whether it is smarter to bite the bullet now and also change or are these things really going to stand the test of time? Reviews in the spring were good so I moved with that understanding. I like others have had flickering lights that I now have mostly resolved. Everything else has been great. I'm running a 150 amp svc. all electric home off grid with 36 blue sun bi-facials, 2 6500EX's and 6 EG4 Life P04's (basically the build Will posted earlier this year). This system kicks butt! It's all worthless though if one or both inverters fail.
If it's working for you, I wouldn't change anything. Why waste the money?

If anything, snatch up some of the used units as backups. Much cheaper than buying an entirely new system. With as many 6500s that were sold, I would imagine there will be used ones floating around for quite some time.

Not sure how that works on this site, suppose that's a consideration.
You click on the persons user name and you should see an option to start a private conversation with them.

I wouldn't buy from anyone with a fairly new account selling high dollar items, anyone that doesn't have actual photos of the items, or seems shady in general.

There's several people selling in the for sale sections but yea it's discontinued because the new one they came out with is basically better in every way / similar specs

If it's working for you, I wouldn't change anything. Why waste the money?

If anything, snatch up some of the used units as backups. Much cheaper than buying an entirely new system. With as many 6500s that were sold, I would imagine there will be used ones floating around for quite some time.
Thanks, makes sense.... who knows how the 6000's will work out any way, 6 months ago the 6500's were expected to be great :)

Oh and welcome to the forum fellow PA roommate. ?
Thanks for the advice and welcome! By the way...Best year in a long time for solar in PA... I just need more batteries for winter! Rather buy batteries than inverters!

Well, have to admit I had the same question bottom line: what did I do in June? Bought for a power back up for outages, luckily not had to use it yet. Had plans of building around it. Now I wish I’d saved my money, or perhaps bought an ecoflow or competitor to it. I really feel I wasted money, and have told signature solar I’ll find other solutions and vendor. Weeks of research were wasted, all in the hopes of spending less for more capacity.

diy solar

diy solar
Back