diy solar

diy solar

Needing suggestions for a replacement backup AIO inverter for the 6500EX

This is not possible - the 6000XP only supports 240v split phase (3 phase support also on its way with a future firmware update and multiple 6000XP's). There's no way from my understanding to combine the 2 hots into a single 6000 watt 120v leg... What you can do is parallel 2 6000XP's to get 2 6000 watt 120v legs though.

The 6000xp is a 120/240 split phase inverter. You can parallel another to get more Amps of 120/240v split phase. If you only use one line of the split phase, at some point you may get an unbalanced load problem. It can't output 100% power on line 1 and 0% power on line 2.
All of the HF* split phase inverters are 2 inverters per box. The control circuitry that allows them to set a 180 degree phase difference or a in phase parallel has to be there even if not available to the end user. Otherwise you could not parallel 4 inverters (2- 6000xp) together to double the split phase output.

Since the manual for the 6000xp does not provide a specific setup like those for other split phase AIO's (The SRNE for example) I am willing to accept they do not want you doing it from 1 box.

*I am talking only about HF inverters. Those inverters that utilize a transformer on their AC output (LF style) are a different critter.

Last edited:
All of the HF* split phase inverters are 2 inverters per box. The control circuitry that allows them to set a 180 degree phase difference or a in phase parallel has to be there even if not available to the end user. Otherwise you could not parallel 4 inverters (2- 6000xp) together to double the split phase output.

Since the manual for the 6000xp does not provide a specific setup like those for other split phase AIO's (The SRNE for example) I am willing to accept they do not want you doing it from 1 box.

*I am talking only about HF inverters. Those inverters that utilize a transformer on their AC output (LF style) are a different critter.
Sounds to me like you are correct about that. Must just be something they just didn't choose to make available in the firmware. @EG4_Jared - is this a capability you guys are even considering? Essentially to just be able to put L1 and L2 in sync rather than 180 degrees apart to give the option to parallel the 2 hots in a combiner panel and have a 6000 watt 120v system rather than 240v split phase? It seems like from a hardware perspective it should be doable...

Last edited:
It's underground in 1in PVC conduit and I really don't want to pull it out and add another wire if I can avoid it, even if it's the proper solution.

Looks like the SRNE 10 Kw is the same as the Sungold SPH8K48SP I mentioned, but 8KW version. Like I said from the manual it looks like you can combine L1 & L2 out in single phase mode to output the full power on one 120V line. That would be perfect if that's the case.
I checked the manual and yes, the Sungold unit does allow combining L1 and L2 into 120V single phase.

That would work for you quite well.

I bought 2 Eco-Worthy rebranded SRNE 5kw and have been happy with them (during the New years sale they were $500. I have emailed SRNE and they were glad to help, even giving the latest firmware to help with communication with Solar assistant.
Are you using them in a split phase setup?

The SRNE 5kw is the only other 120v only inverter with 5kw or more output that I know of.
And the MPP LVL 6048 can do this at over 6kW output, see page 9 of the manual.
(I used this at one time, when I had a single inverter)

Maximum solar showing them at $825 USD + ship
Watts247 not showing them anymore.
{Someone on the forum had two for sale not long ago} EDIT: I found these but they are now sold. sorry.

Attachments

• LV6048 split phase manual-20201120.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back