diy solar

diy solar

Needing suggestions for a replacement backup AIO inverter for the 6500EX

PhantomF

I have an off-grid setup consisting of a single 6500EX connected to 15kW of EG4 LLV2 batteries and fed by 2 strings of 8 solar panels in series, each string is ~ 330V Vmp, 395V Voc, 10.96A Imp, around 7kW total. I use it to feed power to my 120V 50A RV and the 30x50 metal building the solar equipment is housed in and so far it’s been working perfectly for what I need it to do. My concern is for the future because I don’t trust the longevity of the 6500EX. Unfortunately, I bought the system components back in August 23 right before it would be discontinued.

I’m trying to find an AIO inverter that would be able to replace the 6500EX if/when I have an issue down the line and would like to buy it now to have it ready as a backup. I only need 120V AC and at least 6000+ watts output. Is there another inverter that will put out what the 6500EX does at 120V and be able to input my 2 solar strings(with some headroom for temps getting down to 30 degrees) and also communicate in closed loop with my batteries? I could try and find another 6500EX but would rather have something that has a better reputation and is more reliable. I’m not concerned with price either, I’ve looked at all the high end brands and can’t find anything that does what I need without going overkill with a high output split phase 240V inverter crippled to run at 120V only.

Have you seen this?

Have you seen this?
Yeah but at 120V a single 6000ex will only output 3000W from what I understand. I would need two units in parallel to output 6000W at 120V. The 18Kpv is complete overkill for my needs just like 2 6000ex's would be.

Yeah but at 120V a single 6000ex will only output 3000W from what I understand. I would need two units in parallel to output 6000W at 120V. The 18Kpv is complete overkill for my needs just like 2 6000ex's would be.
No worries. You're correct that you only get 3kW per leg on the 6kXP, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the program.

A replacement 6500 is the only thing that comes to my mind that would have that high of a VOC for your PV and still give you the amount of output you would want. I'm sure you could find a used one at a decent price.

Not sure if the 6000xp allows parallel 120vAC operation for higher output. You might research that. I know that there are many parallel capable AIO's that could either run parallel (voltage stays the same but current adds) or in split phase setup when each phase is set 180 degrees apart for double voltage. (current on each split phase leg half of total current).

Might need someone to read the manual.

I would check about the 6000xp as well.

If one leg is 3000 in 120 and the other is 120... why can't you run one on leg one and the other on leg two. Just run 120 breakers on you solar sub.

I has two 6500's and they worked... but we're edgy. It was a constant process of monitoring the system.
I held my nose and bought the 18kpv. So far, it's been flawless. Anything less than 6k (solar or output), the fans don't even come on.

I think a simpler way of putting it is that unless you have a single load of over 3,000w at 120v, the 6000xp would likely be a great fit and you’re the perfect candidate for the upgrade from what I’m seeing.

I would check about the 6000xp as well.

If one leg is 3000 in 120 and the other is 120... why can't you run one on leg one and the other on leg two. Just run 120 breakers on you solar sub.

I has two 6500's and they worked... but we're edgy. It was a constant process of monitoring the system.
I held my nose and bought the 18kpv. So far, it's been flawless. Anything less than 6k (solar or output), the fans don't even come on.

I think a simpler way of putting it is that unless you have a single load of over 3,000w at 120v, the 6000xp would likely be a great fit and you’re the perfect candidate for the upgrade from what I’m seeing.

So I only have a 4/2 wire running underground from the solar room/breaker box to my RV power hookup where it gets split in 2 to feed both power legs into the RV. If I used a 6000ex I would only be able to utilize one 120V line out at 3000W max. I would definitely need more than that. In hindsight I should've run a 4/3 wire so I would have the option to use 240V split phase power from an inverter as an option.

I did find this inverter from Sungoldpower, the SPH8K48SP, and from the manual it seems to be capable of combining L1 & L2 in single phase to output the full 8000W. Does anyone have experience with this inverter and brand?

1708126231078.png

So I only have a 4/2 wire running underground from the solar room/breaker box to my RV power hookup where it gets split in 2 to feed both power legs into the RV.

50A RV receptacle wired to be fed from one leg.

Personally, I'd swap this over to 240V with the 4/3 wire. Buried or in conduit? Conduit doesn't take much. If buried, how deep? If you dig up the 4/2 then you can easily lay 4/3 back in the trench. One of those lessons about using conduit underground, I use conduit and ensure it is big enough to add more later. I'll be pulling out the PV legs from the conduit this summer, all 420 feet, and adding more wires, probably a few extra wires while I'm at it.

I know, it sucks. Long term you would be better off with the 240V split phase.

As for the 6000XP, yes, only 3 Kw per leg.

One other choice is SRNE 10 Kw, the split phase version will get you 5 Kw per leg, just don't use the one leg and it would allows for expansion or running your buddy's RV when they come by for a short stay.

The SRNE 5kw is the only other 120v only inverter with 5kw or more output that I know of.

50A RV receptacle wired to be fed from one leg.

Personally, I'd swap this over to 240V with the 4/3 wire. Buried or in conduit? Conduit doesn't take much. If buried, how deep? If you dig up the 4/2 then you can easily lay 4/3 back in the trench. One of those lessons about using conduit underground, I use conduit and ensure it is big enough to add more later. I'll be pulling out the PV legs from the conduit this summer, all 420 feet, and adding more wires, probably a few extra wires while I'm at it.

I know, it sucks. Long term you would be better off with the 240V split phase.

As for the 6000XP, yes, only 3 Kw per leg.

One other choice is SRNE 10 Kw, the split phase version will get you 5 Kw per leg, just don't use the one leg and it would allows for expansion or running your buddy's RV when they come by for a short stay.
It's underground in 1in PVC conduit and I really don't want to pull it out and add another wire if I can avoid it, even if it's the proper solution.

Looks like the SRNE 10 Kw is the same as the Sungold SPH8K48SP I mentioned, but 8KW version. Like I said from the manual it looks like you can combine L1 & L2 out in single phase mode to output the full power on one 120V line. That would be perfect if that's the case.

It's underground in 1in PVC conduit and I really don't want to pull it out and add another wire if I can avoid it, even if it's the proper solution.

Looks like the SRNE 10 Kw is the same as the Sungold SPH8K48SP I mentioned, but 8KW version. Like I said from the manual it looks like you can combine L1 & L2 out in single phase mode to output the full power on one 120V line. That would be perfect if that's the case.
As I mentioned most of the split phase capable AIO's are likely able to parallel for just 1 phase 120vAC. Basically you have 2 inverters in one box. I would expect the 6000xp can as well.

I interpreted the manual the same way though I never tried using it that way, it's been working excellent in split phase.

If you decide to go this route I advise you order direct from SRNE and skip the re-labels.
The SRNE 5kw is the only other 120v only inverter with 5kw or more output that I know of.
This would be another good option. If one isn't enough you can parallel another. They can be had for under $600 through ali.

It is unfortunate in my opinion that the term parallel has been misused for AC output AIO's. In DC everyone understands the difference between Series and Parallel setups. Making split phase by using two inverter outputs is not this kind of parallel operation. Parallel operation with 2 inverter outputs would keep the same voltage but add the current capability of each one. You used to see this done in inverter gas generators such as Hondas that you bought a parallel cord for. It did not make 240vAC but it gave you more 120vAC power.

Ideally everyone would use "split phase hookup" or "3 phase hookup" leaving parallel hookup to describe hookups that add current.

38% conduit fill on 1# SCH40 PVC with 4 wires of 4AWG. You don't need the ground to be 4AWG but I just input 4 to see how it filled.

That is the easiest and best solution long term and offers great flexibility. Shouldn't take over an hour.

The 4AWG is large enough if you desire to add both legs together.

Took a minute to scan the EG4 6000xp manual. It seems to have a parallel setting function that mentions single phase setup. Unfortunately it does not give much detail. I would suggest contacting EG4 (Signature solar) folks to see if a procedure for running the inverter as a 6000w 120vAC setup is possible and the steps to properly set it up. @SignatureSolarJames reading this?

I interpreted the manual the same way though I never tried using it that way, it's been working excellent in split phase.

If you decide to go this route I advise you order direct from SRNE and skip the re-labels.

This would be another good option. If one isn't enough you can parallel another. They can be had for under $600 through ali.
I bought 2 Eco-Worthy rebranded SRNE 5kw and have been happy with them (during the New years sale they were $500. I have emailed SRNE and they were glad to help, even giving the latest firmware to help with communication with Solar assistant.

Took a minute to scan the EG4 6000xp manual. It seems to have a parallel setting function that mentions single phase setup. Unfortunately it does not give much detail. I would suggest contacting EG4 (Signature solar) folks to see if a procedure for running the inverter as a 6000w 120vAC setup is possible and the steps to properly set it up. @SignatureSolarJames reading this?
This is not possible - the 6000XP only supports 240v split phase (3 phase support also on its way with a future firmware update and multiple 6000XP's). There's no way from my understanding to combine the 2 hots into a single 6000 watt 120v leg... What you can do is parallel 2 6000XP's to get 2 6000 watt 120v legs though.

The 6000xp is a 120/240 split phase inverter. You can parallel another to get more Amps of 120/240v split phase. If you only use one line of the split phase, at some point you may get an unbalanced load problem. It can't output 100% power on line 1 and 0% power on line 2.

Back