diy solar

diy solar

6500EX, PV Power Limitation & Operational Temperature Questions

Well you could take the trade in offer for the EG 18k, this thing is dead silent until it has 6 kilowatts of power going in or out.
I didn't realize they were doing a trade-in, I will look into that.
I have a 6000ex and that is at around 37-38c deg ambient temps daily with a fan blowing air into it and a extractor taking out "heat" from the room it is at. Solar Assistant reports a temps of 53-55c when close to 5000watts of PV are coming in to charge and cover the loads. Air filters are cleaned weekly.
How long have they been running at those temps? thats much hotter than my room. Its not hard to do with the amount of heat these guys push out...
So PV one is running at 2270w/3600w=63%
PV two is 2480w/3600w=69%

I would think that is not all that out of line for having real hot days. The discrepancy between the 2 arrays might need some investigation if they are identical in every way other than output. It would be a good idea to check every connection for excessive heat.

Your AIO is likely not throttling but it is not good to keep it at such high ambient temperatures. It can cause internal component failure.
Whats your idea of high ambient temps, and for how long? Summer is around 3-4 months at its peak down here, the rest of the year much cooler...
Forgot to add in my prevoius post I decided to add a Victron 150/35 to move some solar away from my 6000ex for the same reason (heat). Trying to not use the 6000s full SCC to its full power and using the victron to supplement. Currently the 6000ex is charging at 60amp and the victron at 20amps. 80 amps total / 26amps each for three 48v LLs. I'm expecting two more batteris for a total of 5. Guess will have to push the victron a little harder.
Did you notice any significant difference doing this? I also have a 150|70 Victron in my van which I could try out...

I didn't realize they were doing a trade-in, I will look into that.

How long have they been running at those temps? thats much hotter than my room. Its not hard to do with the amount of heat these guys push out...

Whats your idea of high ambient temps, and for how long? Summer is around 3-4 months at its peak down here, the rest of the year much cooler...

Did you notice any significant difference doing this? I also have a 150|70 Victron in my van which I could try out...
Well, I live in Puerto Rico "summer" started around May and temps have been hovering 90-100F daily. Supplementing the charging with the victron and lowering the charging amps on the 6000 definitely helped me a lot.

Room temperature of over 90F for more than an hours time.

Outdoor ambient for the solar panels
As the temperature rises, the output voltage of a solar panel decreases, leading to reduced power generation. For every degree Celsius above 25°C (77°F), a solar panel's efficiency typically declines by 0.3% to 0.5%.
from https://blog.ecoflow.com/us/effects-of-temperature-on-solar-panel-efficiency/

Screenshot_20230731_140850_INKBIRD.jpgScreenshot_20230731_140830_Samsung Internet.jpg

Currently 94.1deg ambient temps. Solar Assistant reports inverter temps at 52deg. with current load. No charging as batteries are already full.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230731_140803_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230731_140803_Samsung Internet.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 3
Well you could take the trade in offer for the EG 18k, this thing is dead silent until it has 6 kilowatts of power going in or out.
Where can I find information on the trade in? I dont see anything on their website.

Either way $5600 + Tax seems like serious overkill. I really dont need more than 5kw output.

I would be more inclined to switch over to the Victron multiplus II 5000 + MPPT RS set up. (~$4300). I love the full victron setup I have in my van, its quiet, doesn't get hot, and just works!

Is the Eg4 MPPT100 any less hot or loud?
Full PV coming in and it will be loud.

Mine are in the basement and I can hear it if the basement door is open. That is with about 3000W to 4000W into each one.

But my LV6548 inverters are quiet.

Full PV coming in and it will be loud.

Mine are in the basement and I can hear it if the basement door is open. That is with about 3000W to 4000W into each one.

But my LV6548 inverters are quiet.
figured, thank you. Mine is extremely audible everywhere in the house due to the location... seems like victron is the way to go for hot/quiet

Where can I find information on the trade in? I dont see anything on their website.

Either way $5600 + Tax seems like serious overkill. I really dont need more than 5kw output.

I would be more inclined to switch over to the Victron multiplus II 5000 + MPPT RS set up. (~$4300). I love the full victron setup I have in my van, its quiet, doesn't get hot, and just works!
It's a pretty good IMO. You get to keep your old inverter too! No trade in needed.

Back