diy solar

diy solar

$800 for shipping???

I think the tax thing was from states going after amazon with them being such a large sales presence. I imagine in most states (I know it works this way in Alabama) if the store doesnt have a physical presence in the state there isnt a sale tax involved.
It appears to be hit and miss. I tried Current Connected in Nevada and they charged over 10% sales tax.

If you can read and have basic comprehension this is not that difficult but doing your homework first is critical and don’t be afraid to ask questions everything you need is available on the net you just have to do the research
I totally agree. That's why I'm starting just one step above plug and play, with an AIO inverter/charger just big enough to get my critical circuits through a one-day outage. I plan to study electricity and wiring intensively for the next few months, and hopefully then I'll be able to do a whole-house backup with a full-blown Victron system.

I ordered one battery which was shipped by freight and arrived on a pallet. It wasn't too heavy for a single person to lift, but considering its price tag and having electronic components, I was ok with the shipping cost. Additionally, being out of state saved me tax and I was able to find a coupon code which saved me a little more.
Forgot to ask, do you just Google to find coupon codes, or is there a special place for DIYers?

Shipping is kinda a PITA for sure, which is why I usually tell people if you're only getting a small system of a dozen panels or less it's a much better value to get the panels from Amazon because the shipping is such a huge factor. With solar panels it's often not worth shopping online for used panels unless you need a pallet because the shipping for 1 panel is the same as 25 panels.

As for the AIO, yeah, there's not much you can do if you want EG4 because there's only 1 option really and the shipping is set by FedEx/UPS/Etc.

Contact them directly instead of trying to order off the site. See if they can do better.
Ditto. 18650batterystore typically charges $35 - $40 ground shipping for 4 cells. About three weeks ago, it jumped up to $130, which is the Fedex/UPS ground non-discounted rate for for 50 lbs. (4 cells). Gave them a call. They apologized for the glitch and offered their standard $35-$40 shipping if I ordered via phone. I found it interesting that it took them a week or so to correct the problem

Last edited:
As a beginner, I'm very leery of Ebay. If I couldn't get something to work, I wouldn't know whether it was my fault, and it would be a huge PITA to ship it back. Not to mention outright scammers.
Take a look at Trophy batteries. Extremely quick shipping (ordered on Friday arrived on Tuesday) and I thought the rates were reasonable. Buy as many as you can afford as shipping cost per battery goes down dramatically.

I've received lots of shipments through FedEx Freight as their Hub is about 30 miles from my house.
As @LBART said, "Contact them directly...", then see if shipping to the Hub is cheaper than your door step. I have them fork the pallet on to my pickup and head for home.

Attachments

• MtSolarLoaded.png
    MtSolarLoaded.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
I'm in a neighboring state from Signature Solar and ABS freight can bring me one of those batteries or a pallet of panels or both for $150 and they usually have it here the day after I order.

About 2 months ago, it was $300.00 to ship a battery from ss to seattle.

Price was same for at least two batteries so it made sense to order more than 1.

They also added tax.

I did not order a battery from them. Ended up doing diy instead.

Yes that is something I was surprised when people say server rack, I thought they all had some free shipping coupon, to me 4x 100ah el cheapo lithium connected in 48v seemed to be almost half the price. They al ship free.

I've received lots of shipments through FedEx Freight as their Hub is about 30 miles from my house.
As @LBART said, "Contact them directly...", then see if shipping to the Hub is cheaper than your door step. I have them fork the pallet on to my pickup and head for home.
I was ordering 2 at a time and picking up at Fed Ex. This last time I ordered 4 and I had them delivered to the doorstep. That was nice and worth the $70 extra. I use the Trophy 220 aH and they are 185 lbs a piece. Nice crates they come in.

Attachments

• 5AFD01B7-3FE3-4A43-8017-9CB3A8C439D0.jpeg
    5AFD01B7-3FE3-4A43-8017-9CB3A8C439D0.jpeg
    1,000.1 KB · Views: 15
  • D1CB29EF-69A6-47B6-94C0-DED515F23BE1.jpeg
    D1CB29EF-69A6-47B6-94C0-DED515F23BE1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
I was ordering 2 at a time and picking up at Fed Ex. This last time I ordered 4 and I had them delivered to the doorstep. That was nice and worth the $70 extra. I use the Trophy 220 aH and they are 185 lbs a piece. Nice crates they come in.

Do you think you have enough battery??

Back