diy solar

diy solar

$800 for shipping???

ArtieKendall

Will's videos have helped me decide to set up an off-grid all-in-one system that looks easy enough for a beginner like me. But now I'm thinking I shouldn't be messing with electricity if I'm too dumb to figure out shipping costs.

I like the EG4 3000EHV 48V inverter, and in his video, Will advised getting an EG4 battery with it, even though it costs a little more, since the EG4 products are pre-configured to work well together. I went to the Signature Solar website, and the prices were doable for me. So I put the inverter in the cart, then I thought I would check the shipping cost. It was just $27 for UPS standard delivery, so not too bad.

Then I added the battery (EG4-LL 48V100AH), and the only choice for shipping was Standard Freight at $811!
(They also offered in-store pickup, but they're in Texas and I'm in Seattle, so...)

I took off the inverter, so just the battery was in the cart. Now there was an Economy Freight option for $505. Standard Freight was still $811.

So what's going on? Why would an inverter that costs $27 to ship by itself, and is apparently free to ship when going standard freight with the battery, not be shippable with economy freight and add $300 to the shipping? I mean, I can make them separate orders so I get the $27 shipping for the inverter, but it must be more work for them to make them separate shipments.

And even with economy freight, is $500 really what it costs to ship a 100-pound battery within the US? I would think that space in the truck, rather than weight, would be more important, and the space it takes up is about the same as a Costco Toilet Paper package. And you can get free shipping buying a 100-pound portable solar battery like Bluetti or Ecoflow from Amazon or Walmart. Of course they cost more, which is why I wanted to go the component route, but they don't cost that much more if you save $800 in shipping.

So am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the website (they're closed till Monday, or I would just call them), or does it really cost over $500 to ship a battery?

Freight cost have gone up dramatically fuel cost are up and idiot governors like ours adding .50 cents a gallon more tax is why

you can save some per battery by buying several you probably can get 4 for the basic freight rate quoted another option is diy a battery some suppliers offer free freight on cells plus it cheaper than a rack battery

Freight cost have gone up dramatically fuel cost are up and idiot governors like ours adding .50 cents a gallon more tax is why

you can save some per battery by buying several you probably can get 4 for the basic freight rate quoted another option is diy a battery some suppliers offer free freight on cells plus it cheaper than a rack battery
You are right. I added another battery, and it "only" added $200 to the economy freight cost, and a little over $100 to the standard.

This is kind of ridiculous. Why are there only a couple of reliable places to buy batteries in the entire US?

Yep I forgot ebay. I bought a rear axle for my f150 truck off ebay. They shipped it from Wisconsin to Alabama for $225 with $0 shipping.

That sucker was HEAVY.
As a beginner, I'm very leery of Ebay. If I couldn't get something to work, I wouldn't know whether it was my fault, and it would be a huge PITA to ship it back. Not to mention outright scammers.

You are right. I added another battery, and it "only" added $200 to the economy freight cost, and a little over $100 to the standard.

This is kind of ridiculous. Why are there only a couple of reliable places to buy batteries in the entire US?
Because we are a small market every body talks about green energy but not many are actually doing it

I ordered one battery which was shipped by freight and arrived on a pallet. It wasn't too heavy for a single person to lift, but considering its price tag and having electronic components, I was ok with the shipping cost. Additionally, being out of state saved me tax and I was able to find a coupon code which saved me a little more.

I like the specs on will's reviews on the eg4 batteries but I wont be going with them when I buy my batteries since I cant find them on amazon.

Not trying to knock their product and to be honest if I was a business selling retail I probably wouldn't fool with amazon if I didnt have to because of the returns nightmares that are probably involved.

But as a consumer 99% of the time on new products if I cant get it on amazon I dont buy it.

As a beginner, I'm very leery of Ebay. If I couldn't get something to work, I wouldn't know whether it was my fault, and it would be a huge PITA to ship it back. Not to mention outright scammers.
You are now a member of one of the best tech support groups available if you order a common unit like mpp, growatt , victron ect you can get great support here and faster than most companies just don’t order something nobody has heard of

Because we are a small market every body talks about green energy but not many are actually doing it
I'm surprised to hear that, what with Will getting over a million views on many of his videos, and the popularity of prepper type stuff, but you must be right. Maybe the new tax incentives will help the industry grow.

I ordered one battery which was shipped by freight and arrived on a pallet. It wasn't too heavy for a single person to lift, but considering its price tag and having electronic components, I was ok with the shipping cost. Additionally, being out of state saved me tax and I was able to find a coupon code which saved me a little more.
Holy smokes, I didn't even notice that they weren't charging tax. I thought you couldn't escape that anymore. Is there some exemption for green energy stuff? This may make me re-re-think this, because Amazon always charges me tax.

I'm surprised to hear that, what with Will getting over a million views on many of his videos, and the popularity of prepper type stuff, but you must be right. Maybe the new tax incentives will help the industry grow.
It will help some but a lot of that is grid tied systems us offgrid or grid assist using batteries is even smaller group

Holy smokes, I didn't even notice that they weren't charging tax. I thought you couldn't escape that anymore. Is there some exemption for green energy stuff? This may make me re-re-think this, because Amazon always charges me tax.
Some don’t charge tax going directly to the company to purchase but if purchased from them on eBay or Amazon they Will charge tax but you will get free shipping usually just figure whats cheapest

I think the tax thing was from states going after amazon with them being such a large sales presence. I imagine in most states (I know it works this way in Alabama) if the store doesnt have a physical presence in the state there isnt a sale tax involved.

We're different. Not many people have the technical ability or are too scared to try putting a system together.
If you can read and have basic comprehension this is not that difficult but doing your homework first is critical and don’t be afraid to ask questions everything you need is available on the net you just have to do the research

We're different. Not many people have the technical ability or are too scared to try putting a system together.
Describes me perfectly. My dad died young and I never had anybody to show me how to do stuff. But things have changed since I was younger, because now you can learn almost anything online.

Some don’t charge tax going directly to the company to purchase but if purchased from them on eBay or Amazon they Will charge tax but you will get free shipping usually just figure whats cheapest
Yeah, I just tried Current Connected with an SOK battery of the same size. Their shipping is $330 (they are in Nevada, so only about half as far away), but they do charge over 10% tax, so the cost to me ends up about the same. I guess each state has its own rules.

Back