diy solar

diy solar

8x HESP 12kW Advice

You have me back at trying to figure out how make the ASP work. So tempting.

Use SA to change the mode, and ASP responds pretty quick to a change in mode (UTI to SBU, whatever else is needed to use battery instead of grid)
Exactly, you could create an automation to run in SBU until XX.X battery voltage then flip to UTI, you could also add another condition based on time or other parameters.
I currently use one to reduce charging current, works great.

Attachments

• IMG_20240729_195259.jpg
    IMG_20240729_195259.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1
Exactly, you could create an automation to run in SBU until XX.X battery voltage then flip to UTI, you could also add another condition based on time or other parameters.
I currently use one to reduce charging current, works great.
Nice

I assume I would need two instances of SA as I don't think it supports multiple power plants. I don't see why that would create any problems though.

8 x 12kW = 96kW Inverter system
215 kWh ESS
65kW PV
500 feet feeder
Wow, a system this scale sounds like a commercial grid tie solar farm to me...and the $$$ !

That said, without knowing the actual usage, seems like OP should be collecting data on that aspect first.
I started out with two 200A utility connections (one each for my shop and my home next door) and we do very well with 18-19kW of inverter to run both - although I too am looking at the 12kW x 2 to run both my home and business.
Deep well pump, heat pump, elect dryer, elect double oven, stationary machinery, welders, 6Hp air compressor - we didn't need 400A of inverters to replace 400A of utility.

8 x 12kW = 96kW Inverter system
215 kWh ESS
65kW PV
500 feet feeder
Wow, a system this scale sounds like a commercial grid tie solar farm to me...and the $$$ !

Yes. It is a farm.

But really not all that expensive all things considered.

96kw of inverters $16k
65kw of pv at .25 per watt $16.25k
215kwh battery $32k

So $64k before tax credits for the expensive parts. I know of people who have spent 64k on a 12.8kw grid tie -with no battery- system.

That said, without knowing the actual usage, seems like OP should be collecting data on that aspect first.

I agree. I would like to know ops monthly consumption at least.

Monthly during summer can get to ~14k kWh. Will expect that to rise some with additional irrigation pump and another AC unit (24k BTU). Also added Bolt EUV but no one doing a lot of miles regularly at the moment.

Right now heat and hot water is on propane. Will migrate heat but that will only even out usage throughout year. Same with adding the pool heater -- almost want that just to help me utilize more power when it's not super hot.

Monthly during summer can get to ~14k kWh. Will expect that to rise some with additional irrigation pump and another AC unit (24k BTU). Also added Bolt EUV but no one doing a lot of miles regularly at the moment.

Right now heat and hot water is on propane. Will migrate heat but that will only even out usage throughout year. Same with adding the pool heater -- almost want that just to help me utilize more power when it's not super hot.
You have 65kw currently and i think you were planning to add 65kw more.

I don't think the hesp can ac couple- at least not mentioned in the manual.

You have 65kw currently and i think you were planning to add 65kw more.

I don't think the hesp can ac couple- at least not mentioned in the manual.
Yeah i was planning to go from 1 string each MPPT using the existing strings to running 2 in parallel. HESPs would end up significantly overpaneled.

Hopefully this is on-topic, I don't want to derail, just a simple question / maybe observation:

I've been looking at the docs for the HESP -- does anyone know if its OEM is related to Deye or Sol-Ark? As I look at this, it is strikingly similar to a SolArk 12k.

Just curious -- most of these inverters seem to have a common lineage in terms of the base piece of equipment.

Yeah i was planning to go from 1 string each MPPT using the existing strings to running 2 in parallel. HESPs would end up significantly overpaneled.
what is your current string configuration?

the hesp can handle 25a and I think 13.2kw total per inverter

what is your current string configuration?

the hesp can handle 25a and I think 13.2kw total per inverter
15 of 16 strings are 9x450 Canadian solar bihiku. Imp 11 so works doubled up.

I will exceed both 25a (slightly, ~26.6) and the 13.2kw with the new panels when added.

15 of 16 strings are 9x450 Canadian solar bihiku. Imp 11 so works doubled up.

I will exceed both 25a (slightly, ~26.6) and the 13.2kw with the new panels when added.
9s2p per string and two strings per inverter almost sounds perfect.

1.23 dc ac ratio is good.

Last edited:
Do you have any current load monitoring to know what your max sustained load is?
You may be able to get by just fine with less .... I'm not advising against 8, it just seems like a whole boatload of power.
I can't offer much advice on the grid tie side of things but I will suggest building your own buss bar with some long flat stock from Zoro or the like. It will make wiring way easier... I used one of those you linked for a 3S build, it was much easier with the longer bars I got from Zoro. Short pack + wires to a Class T fuse to a + Bus near by and all the BMS connecting to the - buss on the other side.

I'm looking forward to updates on how this goes. 215KWh pack! Wow I hope to get there someday.
You have a pic of what you're describing on bus bars? Thanks

Hopefully this is on-topic, I don't want to derail, just a simple question / maybe observation:

I've been looking at the docs for the HESP -- does anyone know if its OEM is related to Deye or Sol-Ark? As I look at this, it is strikingly similar to a SolArk 12k.

Just curious -- most of these inverters seem to have a common lineage in terms of the base piece of equipment.
I don't have any insight here. Not aware of any relationship between SRNE and Deye. Seem to have HQ in different cities fwiw. Solark is manufactured by Deye.

I was thinking that i had never seen an interlock for 4 double pole breakers.

I think a transfer switch would be better
200A manual transfer switch appears to be ~$1k. eg https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens...on-Fusible-Safety-Switch-DTGNF224NR/205874580

Anyone aware of better place to get these? Seems expensive for what it is... Odd to me that

I agree would be cleaner solution than my backfed breakers, but requires:
- 2 x 200A load centers (to combine inverter output); relatively cheap, <$200
- 2 x 200A transfer switch; seems pricey at $1k each

I likely have to do this anyway because one of the current 200A house panels is actually a 200A disconnect (panel with single 200A breaker) that runs to a 200A panel at an exterior location 150' away. No way for me to backfeed into this panel.

200A manual transfer switch appears to be ~$1k. eg https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens...on-Fusible-Safety-Switch-DTGNF224NR/205874580

Anyone aware of better place to get these? Seems expensive for what it is... Odd to me that

I agree would be cleaner solution than my backfed breakers, but requires:
- 2 x 200A load centers (to combine inverter output); relatively cheap, <$200
- 2 x 200A transfer switch; seems pricey at $1k each

I likely have to do this anyway because one of the current 200A house panels is actually a 200A disconnect (panel with single 200A breaker) that runs to a 200A panel at an exterior location 150' away. No way for me to backfeed into this panel.
they are not cheap but I've seen some less than that - in the $700 range.

diy solar

diy solar
Back