diy solar

diy solar

9000 BTU Mini Split Heat Pump Hi SEER Ratings: Innovair vs LG vs Mitsu (etc) Worth it?

MrM1

I'm Here, But I'm Not All There
I would like to run a Mini Split in my bed room as a supplement to my 3 ton and 1 ton systems, but run the mini split off grid. Space too cool for the mini split = 285 sq ft. So 9000 btu would be about right. Needs to be Cool and Heat so looking at Heat Pumps.

I have been running a gird support / off grid 24v system for the past 4 years (see my sig).

I like This post showing David Poz running the 38 SEER Innovair 9000btu unit. He is noting after it go the shop down to temp, the unit only ran at 1.75 or so amps. But I've never heard of Innovair (or many other brands for that matter).

As I really need the mini split to maintain using very low current (2 amps would be nice), I am wondering, is a mini split like the Innovair at 38 SEER really going to be worth the extra money. Will something like the Innovair 38 SEER really be that much different in current and power load than say a Mitsu 17 SEER, or a Senville LETO 19 or an LG 23.5 or a Mitsu 33 etc.

Is the Innovair a decent unit? What would be a good brand option for my design?

I'd like a 240v 9000 btu Mini Split heat pump that would maintain room temp at around 2-3 amps total (both legs) once it has brought the temp down.

My Current Solar System
- Schneider Conext SW 2024 24v inverter
- 5200w array
- 1 Midnite Solar Classic 150
- 730ah battery bank (8s3p)
- current loads: 3500wh per day.

(Also: I keep seeing 60hz mini splits listed at 230v. Will that work on 240v? Sorry, I just don't know)

Guess I am asking about brand name, reliability, and (mostly) SEER ratings. Will a 38 really be that much different than say a 21 SEER in amps for maintain a room once it has reached temp

I am not locked into any particular brand, just wondering if going up in SEER (and price) would really lower the amps to maintain a room that much and be worth the 300-500 dollar or more price increase from a 17-23 SEER unit.

Also add to my list above the TOSOT 21 SEER

Thanks

I run a 9000BTU Senville Mini-split in my 7x14 trailer with 1" R5 silverboard all around (top, bottom, sides, corners) and no windows. - https://senville.com/9000-btu-mini-split-air-conditioner-sena-09hf/
It uses up to 6kwh / 24hrs at the extremes in my area - e.g. 25F/-4C to 110F/43C - for 100sq ft.
1639592036345.png

Senville makes an "Aura" version for more extreme cold temp range - https://www.sylvane.com/senville-aura-9000-btu-mini-split-heat-pump.html
1639591893566.png

For off-grid, you'll need at least 6kwh/day :) depends of course on your room size, insulation, and temp ranges.

We are in FL so heat is not that big a deal and cooling would be more of an issue, but we have attic space above the room, house is insulated so-so, and the only window in the room is under a carport facing North.

I would look at EER, because it reflects energy usage under a set temperature, while SEER covers a range of outdoor temperatures. So, if your EER is 15 and you are moving 9000 BTUs, you will consume around 600 watts. A unit with EER of 14 would consume 9000 BTU/14 = 642W. If your outdoor temps are below 95, then watt consumption will be better.

At least now you have a frame for comparison. You will be able to put numbers against one another.

Thing is if your mini split has ramped speed down, then the difference in 38 SEER and 21 SEER wattage will be even smaller. If you're trying to extract every last bit of efficiency out of your off-grid power, then high SEER is great, but I don't think it will make sense economically.

Thing is if your mini split has ramped speed down, then the difference in 38 SEER and 21 SEER wattage will be even smaller. If you're trying to extract every last bit of efficiency out of your off-grid power, then high SEER is great, but I don't think it will make sense economically.
Pretty much that is what I am going to have to be doing to make if feasible

If the incremental cost isn't a detriment, then by all means get the higher SEER unit. One good way to compare them is look at outdoor unit weight. The high SEER 9k BTU outside units will push 85-100 lbs. That extra mass is indicative of a larger heat exchanger which equals efficiency.

That said, you won't find the premium brands: Mitsubishi, Daikin, Fujitsu, with advertised SEER rating of 38. I suspect there is SEER inflation amongst the Chinese brands. If you have the means to measure airflow and calculate enthalpy you can actually calculate BTUs and EER from the mini split in your home, but I don't know any way to actually measure SEER on-site.

If the incremental cost isn't a detriment, then by all means get the higher SEER unit. One good way to compare them is look at outdoor unit weight. The high SEER 9k BTU outside units will push 85-100 lbs. That extra mass is indicative of a larger heat exchanger which equals efficiency.

That said, you won't find the premium brands: Mitsubishi, Daikin, Fujitsu, with advertised SEER rating of 38. I suspect there is SEER inflation amongst the Chinese brands. If you have the means to measure airflow and calculate enthalpy you can actually calculate BTUs and EER from the mini split in your home, but I don't know any way to actually measure SEER on-site.
I'm mostly concerned about keeping the current draw low while the unit itself does a reasonable job

Like I said in the OP, I liked the current load of the Innovair in David Poz video, just don't know about the quality. Are they any good?

My Senville can reach 1000w for a short period - but mostly runs at 600w to 300w level, on / off (its not a steady pull of power)
This is a snapshot of heating (just now) but AC is similar.
1639624334170.png

Last edited:
One in three are manufactured by Gree. I have an Ameristar 9K 22 SEER HP to go in my van, er house. It has a 10 year parts warranty when installed by a licensed HVAC guy. It has an inverter compressor.

@MrM1 - You never said if you made a purchase. I installed a 21.5 SEER 18k Pioneer system last year in my solar application. You can hint to it to not run wide open if you want to save on current a little bit. Full on it draws 6 Amps total of 240VAC. I couldn't really find a smaller one that runs on 240V.

A side project of mine is to attempt to hijack its internal communication so that I can spoof the temperature measurements, which would allow me to force it to run even slower than it already wants to. In other words, if I turn it on and it thinks the temperature difference is large, it wants to run fast so it can control the temperature. I want to sacrifice a bit of comfort and have it change temperatures more slowly by spoofing the indoor temperature to keep it at the slower speed.

I have an older mini split heat pump 13 seer. It pulls max 750W (6.25A) when starting up and getting going, then pulses slower during the night. 9000 BTU. Mitsu compressor. Over 5 years old now. Here is from my power meter monitor at night.

minisplit at night.JPG

I have it set to 63F as I like to sleep in cryo stasis. Outside temps in AZ are dipping down to below 40 I believe. This is for the whole house power usage, but really, the heater isn't kicking on, neither are the fridge or freezer from what I see.

I installed an Ameristar (Gree) 12000 btu 15 SEER mini hp. In heat mode (without basepan defrost heater energized), at 40F ODB, 65F IDB, Amps= 4.4A @ 245V.

I've got two of the pioneer 12k btu 120v 21 seer units to heat and cool my 1200sqft off grid cabin. Couldn't be much happier. I was considering higher end brands but in the end, all the positive reviews on the pioneer units steered me their direction. Glad i saved the money because these things are awesome for the price.

They can run on as little as 2 amps and produce cool or warm air and they can really crank it out when they are turned up and are pulling 10+ amps.

My only complaints are that the thermostats seem very slow to react and aren't very accurate to begin with. I also wish they offered total manual control of the compressor. For example, if I wanted to just run the system at 10% for a fixed time. And they tend to defrost frequently when the outdoor temp and humidity are at certain levels.

Hello :

Currently Carrier has the most efficient mini split on the plant a available for install with a great warranty. Ready for this 42 seer. I think it heats down to -37° with out electric heating coils operating. But it is pricey and has To be installed by there certified installer. I only need 38 seer at half the price it would take 15years to pay the difference. Currently you can get a $3,000 tax right off for the upgrade in my area but it is at least 6 to 8k for the size I would need. I want a 3 zone unit. And that price is not with install.

Back