diy solar

diy solar

A big switch ...

offgriddle

"FOREVER BEGINNING"
I just want a simple, big ole three pole, 100 amp switch that I can manually throw to switch between a 240 VAC generator and a 240 VAC invertor, nothin fancy. The output of a switch would feed a simple service panel with a hundred amp main breaker. A plain ole switch in a metal, outdoor rated enclosure with a handle. Just a big ole switch. Any ideas anyone?

Maybe switch to a Relay that can handle the specs that you are looking for?
Hmm there are relays that handle higher currents that are referred to as "contactors", interesting idea. I would prefer if no energy was required, (besides elbow grease), to perform the function of switching and maintaining state of switching. While I do not know for sure, contactors or high current relays are most likely quite a bit more expensive than a plain old switch.

@jasonhc73 uses some big evil genius switch on his setup. Not sure if it’s exactly what you’re looking for. Check this post...

I think I need to switch neutral as well, requiring a third pole, (although a two pole would possibly work but something tells me not to permanently combine the neutrals from two different sources as energy on the neutral would be present on both current generation sources even though one will always be disconnected), and I need 100 amps not 32 and the mechanics of the switch housing doesn't seem to offer a lot of protection from shock.

I think I need to switch neutral as well, requiring a third pole, (although a two pole would possibly work but something tells me not to permanently combine the neutrals from two different sources as energy on the neutral would be present on both current generation sources even though one will always be disconnected), and I need 100 amps not 32 and the mechanics of the switch housing doesn't seem to offer a lot of protection from shock.
I see three pole versions at 100A on the eBay link. But it seems moot given upnorth's recommendation.

I see three pole versions at 100A on the eBay link. But it seems moot given upnorth's recommendation.
Yep, I think to he GE switch is just what the doctor ordered, simple, effective, affordable I better get one before the product is cancelled due to lack of interest because it's not dazzling complicated and herrendously expensive!

CHUANGNENG 225 Amp 4-Pole Circuit Breaker 4P Disconnect Knife Switch 225A Backup Generator US Stock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0769JQPY7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.oLyEb81CNTR8
That is excellent, excellent price and robust specs but one thing is bugging me. This switch would not only be operated by incredibly brilliant and semi cautious scientific types like those of who frequent this forum, but would also have to be operated by normal people of average intellect as well. With that being said, would such a switch, being located in an area inside of the living space that is accessable to anyone, pass code muster? Or, should I go with the totaly enclosed and lockable, GE switch,?

That is excellent, excellent price and robust specs but one thing is bugging me. This switch would not only be operated by incredibly brilliant and semi cautious scientific types like those of who frequent this forum, but would also have to be operated by normal people of average intellect as well. With that being said, would such a switch, being located in an area inside of the living space that is accessable to anyone, pass code muster? Or, should I go with the totaly enclosed and lockable, GE switch,?
Nothing is 100% dumbass proof. ?

Back