diy solar

diy solar

BYD Battery and MPP LV5048 Vid.

how are your batteries wired?
are you using BMS?
what are the charge settings?

The wiring is considered 16S4P. (Two Packs of 8 cells).

No BMS installed yet, but I just finished putting it together to install, on one of the Ps. (3 more to assemble for another day)
16S BMS with LCD Screen (click here)
Video of the BMS (click here)

I am still experimenting with the charge settings. For now, I am bulk charging@ 56.5V and 16 amps, then float charging at 52.9V.

IMG_20200104_195834705.jpg

looks great.
i have same MPP LV5048 .
curious about those batteries ya got there.
thank you for the videos.

Where did you find your orange 'on grid' 'off grid' switch? Havent seen something like that but I like it.

Where did you find your orange 'on grid' 'off grid' switch? Havent seen something like that but I like it.
It's called a Knife Switch.
(On Ebay)

It does a few things.
  • It changes the input to output
  • completely isolates one circuit from the other (It is impossible to have both connected at the same time)
I have it hooked up backward. Usually, one input is sent to one output or the other output.

I use it to connect my entire loads panel to the output AND/OR the input of the inverter.

It's a caveman approach to an automatic transfer switch for a generator.

Every time I throw the switch I think of this

But seriously, actually this

How it is normally used:

nice to see this kind of drain being put on these packs. I can't test this high with my little outback on my BYD's. dare we ask you to look at the voltage drop of 2s?

MPP should take a cue from you and label the connections on the front panel. Nice work!

that is what i will be doing when i next go to my cabin,that and a few other things.

my off grid little cabin has very low power consumption.
at peak i might use 15 ah for short periods,mostly around 8 when awake,around 2 when asleep/away.

Anyone anticipate using the internal 24v cooling fans down the road in summer?
How would you wire those?

Anyone anticipate using the internal 24v cooling fans down the road in summer?
How would you wire those?
The wires are direct to the plug the far left two holes are the power wires.

All that is needed is a thermostat and relay to turn them ON. They are not powered by the battery.

The fans are 24V and very powerful. I will at least put a relay and temp sensor and power them from the battery.

I highly doubt that they will ever need cooling though. I use them somewhere around 0.05C. I managed to get a 0.5C load on them one time(94amps) and they were still ambient. The heatsinks are rather massive.

Anyone use dielectric grease on the battery terminal to connect whatever connector you have used?
Do we need to use dielectric grease on the terminal or anywhere else in the connection?

Oxgard or similarly Noalox for battery terminals - bus bars etc. I use Oxgard and it's never had a problem, just remember it only takes a thin film and does not have to be plastered everywhere like tar.

Back