diy solar

diy solar

A Strange Issue that occurred on my Ecoflow Delta Pro and the 10 second fix.

DarrylG

Starting in late August / Early September, my Delta Pro began to discharge very quickly. Loads that it normally would power all night before were only lasting a few hours. I also didn’t correlate until later, but the Delta Pro was also “charging” very quickly. The same solar panel input was making the charge percentage climb quickly.

I checked all my house loads and all seemed normal. In trying to research what was going on I ran across a list: What do the error codes on Delta Pro mean?
I noticed that many solutions just needed a reboot, or a slow charge, but the last one caught my eye: “077: Cell Voltage Differences are too great - Long press the power button for 10 seconds and wait for half an hour.” Even though I didn’t have any error codes, I thought I would try this. Sunday, I turned off all loads and inputs to the Delta Pro and experimented with the 10 second hold on the power button. It was difficult to know if I was doing it properly, so I tried several times with the unit off and on before pressing the button. I noticed immediately a change in the charge percentage. If I remember right, it was 33% before the button press, but after it came back as 82% and quickly changed to 75% and stayed there. I let the unit sit without doing anything for a couple of hours and then turned back on a small load. The next morning solar began to charge the unit. I did turn on some heavy loads for 30 minutes or so this day. Monday night, I deliberately ran the unit down to shutoff. It was interesting as it didn’t really know how much power it had left. I got tired of waiting, so I put on a 1700 watt load where it said it had 1 minute left and it ran for another 15 minutes. Afterwards I put the unit on a slow 200 watt charge until solar kicked in and being a cloudy day it wasn’t much more than that throughout the day. At night I turned the unit back on to a 200 watt charge until it reached 100% as it only charged to 77% throughout the day with its fridge load. Today it seems to be performing even better than before.

It seems as though the Delta Pro began to only use part of its battery capacity. So my questions are:
  • What happened and how to avoid the rundown in the future?
  • What did the ten second hold actually do? How are you supposed to do the ten second hold? With the unit off or on?

I had written Ecoflow Support about this issue and they wrote back:
Thank you for contacting EcoFlow customer support.
We are afraid that was caused by the incorrect SoC.
You can discharge the battery to 0 then charge it again to 100% to calibrate the SoC. You can repeat this 2-3 times.
For your last question, we will report to our engineer and see if there is can be achieved.
Should you have any questions or if we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Personally I think this only stated the obvious with the incorrect State of Charge.
But I think I will
discharge/charge my unit fully one more time just to make sure it has calibrated fully.

Though it listed the same questions as above. The last question was "Thirdly, Is there a better way to monitor the delta pros charging and usage over time? I know of the Ecoflow app, however it only shows the super recent usage while the app has been running. I am looking for something that would trace the history and potentially have graphs." Does such a compatible app exist?

(I also responded in the other thread)

I tried this and my battery went from 19% to 24%, so hopefully that is a good sign. We'll see once it charges. Questions for you..........

What is your low setting for the battery to kick off? Mine is set at 7%. I wonder if that is a contributing factor. EcoFlow never gives any guidance on battery charging/discharging strategy that I've seen. Again.......very disappointed in the lack of documentation. Does it need to go to 0 on occasion???? That would be nice to know.

Where did you see those codes? And the 10 second reset? My manual does not have code ID's nor does it mention a 10 second reset. Just went to the website and the latest PDF user manual doesn't mention those either.

What is your low setting for the battery to kick off? Mine is set at 7%.
Mine was set to 10%. I currently ran my Delta Pro down to 0% again last night since Ecoflow Support mentioned to cycle the battery 2-3 times. I do believe that LifePo4 batteries are more forgiving about the charge/discharge percentage. Especially since mine doesn't sit at any given percent as it is very active powering circuits and/or recharging from the sun on a daily basis.
Where did you see those codes? And the 10 second reset? My manual does not have code ID's nor does it mention a 10 second reset. Just went to the website and the latest PDF user manual doesn't mention those either.
The link for the codes came from Ecoflow's website. There is a link in the original post above and here. I am not sure how I ran into it, I think I was doing a search for something else and it came up in the google search.

I am glad to hear that you saw a difference in your state of charge. I will be interested in your results after a complete cycle from 100% to 0 and back. My results are sooo much better. Before I was considering an extra battery, but now, I don't need it.

So please let us know.

Hello DarryIG, thanks a lot for your post, I am currently experiencing your issues from late August / Early September on my Delta Pro.

I noticed it was kind of discharging too fast, I have a device that runs on 350 - 370W and it was showing me that it could power it only for 5.5 hours at that load but 5.5 x 370W = 2035 Wh, which is only 56.53% of the total capacity 3600 Wh.

But to my calculation 350 - 370 W / 3600 Wh should be around 9 - 10 hours.

So I wrote an email to support and they also replied to me that SoC is miscalibrated and I should charge/discharge 3 times.

I was even monitoring the % of the battery throughout the charge/discharge process and here is the result:
I started at 08 05 am and let it run till 1% which happened at 13 41, so 5h and 36m.
Then I was able to run the battery with device pulling 350 - 370W for another 2h and 44 minutes, just on that last 1%.
So I ran the device for total of 8h and 20m, even tho it said 5.5h from 100%.

And I noticed that even when charging at full speed from AC wall socket (2900W) it took like 30 minutes to charge from 99% to 100%.

I am doing my 2nd charge, after 1st cycle of charge/discharge at the moment of writing this post.

I will try to reboot as you mentioned, because I have not tried that one yet. Which is kind of weird because reboot is like the best repairman ever.

Just in case I understand it correctly you did reboot by pressing the button for 10 secs according to the attachment right?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Ecoflow Delta Pro.png
    Ecoflow Delta Pro.png
    175.2 KB · Views: 12
Yeah, it seems as though this is a very common problem that I'm sure happens to every unit. I am very disappointed in EcoFlow. They had to know this problem existed, and if they didn't............why not? And where are the SoC reset directions in the manual??? They aren't there. You have to call tech support or find them on this forum to figure out how to fix your unit. And then........what is the frequency of this problem?? It seems to reoccur pretty frequently. Will this ever be resolved or do I have to run thru this annoying process every few weeks???? I don't like disrupting power to my appliances on a regular basis. I have to think that is not good for their control boards.

Hello @tulkooo. Yes that is the correct button. I turned the unit off and held it on for 10 second and did the same when the unit was on as I wasn't sure which one was correct. Watch for a jump in the SOC. It is important to remove the loads and any charging and have the unit sit idle for 30 minutes afterwards as supposedly is balancing the cells. Then run the unit down till it turns off and charge it back to 100%.

On your calculations on how long the Delta Pro should last, don't forget about power the Delta Pro uses itself. Ecoflow told me the Delta Pro consumes about 30 watts of power for being ON, no AC active. Such as when charging from solar. I believe I read that most inverters use 15-20% of their output in consumption. which could be about 70watts for having the AC on. Additionally having the Delta Pro outputting 12 volt power uses energy to convert the 48V to 12volts.

After doing this reset and doing a couple of full cycles on the battery my Delta Pro stayed fine for months. So far I have been fairly pleased with the Delta Pro's performance and overall package.

Last edited:
Yes I have been aware about the 30W idle consumption, I think it is also in the FAQ or maybe someone from support mentioned it.

I am also very pleased with my Delta Pro, that's why I want to have mine act normal because I'd love to expand the system in the future but I need it to be reliable.

Thanks a lot guys, amazing improvement after 10s power button reboot (or whatever that action does ?).

So yesterday I let my device run to 1% until it turned off by itself, then I turned on the screen on Delta pro and pressed the power button for 10s until it shut down and then I pressed it for 10s during which it turned on but I kept it pressed till 10s passed.

I noticed it wasn't 1% anymore but 4%.

So I started charging the device at 1500W from wall socket and dramatic improvement right away.
It charged from 1% to 63,54% in 1:54h.
The cycle before it charged from 1% to 99% in the same time 1:54h and another 58 minutes from 99% to 100% charging at 1500W.

That is like 36% missing somewhere.

Today it even showed me that it will take 2:50h till full charge from 1% which yesterday took me 2:52h in real time. So finally some very accurate numbers.

I'll try to finish my 3 charge/discharges cycles just in case. I will monitor the situation but so far much better already.

You probably saved me a lot of trouble and since I have an opened request with Ecoflow support right now I will report this finding to them.

?

Last edited:
I as well had similar situation with my EDP and now it it is reading a correct SOC. I followed the directions above in a previous post and all is working well. And charges fine now.

This fix is in the faq section of the app. I found it by accident when my pro and extra battery stopped staying in sync chargewise. Took 2 complete cycles. I use 80 to 20% in normal operation.

Reactions: Tym
When calculating the ecoflow total capacity, don't forget the inverters 85% to 90% efficiency.

Also. When calibrating your SOC. It's important to turn the unit off for a couple of hours after you hit your 100% mark. This top balances the cells.

I usually only calibrate once a month and couldn't see the difference between doing it once or 3 times.

I've never read anything about the 10 second long press and the state of charge.

One last thing. Rather than try to contact support and try to decipher their solution. Just join the ecoflow delta pro group on Facebook. There are reps in the group and you would be hard pressed not to get a good response to just about anything you can ask.

Happy Trails....

I see this thread goes back several months, but I’ll post here and see what happens: I have two DP with extra battery each (14kw) connected to double voltage hub, connected to panel via generator outlet using interlock. Wanting to see how these units perform, I have powered the whole house at night (no cooking/running dryer, etc). Basically, one fridge, two freezers, mini fridge, circulating pump for gas boiler, some lights. The first couple times the units seemed to work in concert and at the end of a 12 to 15 hr run, would be approx equal in % discharge. The last time, one unit (DP/battery) showed 45% remaining while the other showed 63%. Also, after recharging both, the unit showing 45% indicated 100% charged with 8 days, 15hrs instead of 9/17. The other went back to what it shown previously. Based on what I’ve seen here, I am assuming this may be an SoC issue?
Does anyone think a slow to 0 discharge is better for the unit or can I hookup my basement space heater and run it dry in 3-4 hours. Likewise on the recharge, slow and steady or power that mutha up? I thank any and all for your experience and advice…

Back