diy solar

diy solar

About to buy Sol-Ark 15k. RSD and Optimizer questions..

hpeyerl

About to buy a Sol-Ark 15k and 3x9 Longi 515w panels. Some parts of my strings might experience shading during the day during some seasons and I have an RSD requirement since they're roof-top. My ex-electrician recommended Solar Edge S505 optimizers but before going ahead with my order, I thought I'd check compatibility and I can't find any evidence that the Sol-Ark supports RSD with the Solar Edge optimizers.

Also, in the manual I'm seeing installation instructions for the Sol-Ark RSD initiator which makes me think I need to order that separately? Or is it intended to come with the 15K-2P and if so, then why is it a separate installable item?

Sorry, this is my first time physically holding any of this stuff.

Last edited:
SolarEdge’s Power Optimizer is a DC/DC converter connected to each module with built-in SafeDC rapid shutdown feature.​
SafeDC automatically reduces module voltage to a safe level whenever the inverter or grid power is shut down (unless connected to a StorEdge inverter operating in backup mode).​
Only works with SolarEdge inverters.

Tigo has RSD that is compatible with Sol-Ark. They also make one that has optimization. Read this form regarding Tigo optimizers.
Sol-Ark is coming out with their RSD/optimizer later this year (maybe).

Thanks. I was not sure if the Sol-Ark RSD initiator would know how to talk to a Solar Edge optimizer. So I guess you've confirmed the answer is 'no'. So I guess it's Tigo for me because the Sol-Ark O900-80V isn't available until Q4 which is too long to wait.

Now I just need to figure out if the inverter comes with a TX 15K-A initiator or if I need to order it separately.

The 15k has an RSD transmitter built in, but not in the 12k version.
However, if you want optimizers they require their own management control unit.

The 15k has an RSD transmitter built in, but not in the 12k version.
However, if you want optimizers they require their own management control unit.
Thanks.

So I think you're saying the TX 15K-A is built-in to the Sol-Ark, but I need to buy a seperate Tigo TAP and CCA?

I am not sure then.
I do know the Tigo RSS transmitter cannot be powered from the 12V aux supply in the 15k because it cannot supply enough current.
You either need the RSS box with RSS panel modules or
cloud connect box with optimizers which also do RSS too.
I called Sol-ark tech support and got the goods. The TX is a separate board that's not even available yet because it's meant to pair with the Sol-Ark optimizers which are also not available. So the Tigo optimizers/RSD stuff operates completely separately and just gets wired in to the dry-contact terminals on the Sol-Ark; which is operated by a switch.

Almost, except you have to provide a power supply for the Tigo, so you are just using the dry contacts in the Solark to switch external power to the Tigo RSS.
The Solark does not have enough oomph to power the Tigo transmitter directly.
This is for the basic TIGO RSS. The Sol-Ark can power it. For TIGO that offers monitoring or optimization, an external power supply is required.

Last edited:
Nope it's for the RSS transmitter too, it draws over an amp at 12 volts and the Solark can only manage 500 mv. Someone else found this out.

Given Sol-Arks release date misses I would normally not recommend that anybody wait on their products to come out based on estimates, but in the case of the optimizer I was told last week by a reliable person that they are coming out very soon, within the next 60 days or so. It was scheduled for the end of 2023 but it was of course delayed due to further testing.
My understanding is that the testing phase is done and they are being manufactured.
I like this solution because the Transmitter is integrated into the Sol-Ark.
https://www.sol-ark.com/optimizers/

Last edited:
Nope it's for the RSS transmitter too, it draws over an amp at 12 volts and the Solark can only manage 500 mv. Someone else found this out.
I need to check my oldest system. It has no battery and there's nothing plugged into any nearby outlets. I don't know what's powering the TX. Did you mean 500 ma. ?

It's absurd for Sol-Ark to show the TX connected to 15 and 16 if these devices draw more than 100 ma.

I did mean milliamps, yes.
I think the old transmitters were okay because they took less current but the new ones that are way more fancy take over an amp. They have automatic mesh technology built in for large installs.

My understanding is that the testing phase is done and they are being manufactured.
Someone needs to tell the Sol-Ark technical support person I spoke with yesterday because he had no idea when and didn't think it was going to be imminent or even soon. Also the Sol-Ark page (which was last modified on Jan 16/2024) says Q4 so I presume that means Q4-2024.

Code:
property="article:modified_time" content="2024-01-16T23:13:55+00:00"

I have a government grant that is running out of money and I have no idea when I won't be able to claim it but I do know they're laying off the auditors who do the post-install inspections as of the end of March. I need to get these things up on my roof and inspected.

Here is the text breakdown of that article for those needing quick info.

RSS Transmitter
Used in conjunction with Tigo's Fire Safety products:
• TS4-A-F and -2F MLPE
(RSD 'only' applications)
Voltage: 12VDC Current: 1A

Cloud Connect Advanced (CCA)
Used in conjunction with Tigo's Monitoring products:
• TS4-A-O (optimization, monitoring, and RSD)
• TS4-A-S (monitoring and rapid shutdown)
Voltage: 12-24VDC Current: 1A

Sol-Ark TX 15K-A Terminal

Used in conjunction with the Sol-Ark 0900-80V RSD solution. Not considered a compatible power supply for Tigo RSD devices.
Power Output Voltage: 12VDC Current: 100mA.
Sol-Ark has updated its installation manuals in July 2023 to reflect this information. The new documentation shows that the terminal output is 12V, but it is only rated to 100mA (1.2W). It also includes a well-written statement about rapid shutdown options, when installing a Tigo RSS Transmitter.

Here is the info, direct from Tigo. Neither the -O (optimizer) which requires the TAP and CCA nor the -F which just does rapid shutdown which uses the RSS PLC transmitter can draw power directly from the Sol-Ark, they both require external power supplies.

Since it isn't explicitely noted, I assume people are putting a small relay on pins 15/16 to switch the power from the Tigo power supply to the Tigo transmitter?

Back