diy solar

diy solar

Ac Volts bleeding into solar lines?

tomy2

escape artist
It started with a shock from the metal conduit between the roof solar panels and the inverters. The conduit surface reads 170 volts AC., not good. There are two EG4 3000 hybrid inverters connected to a load panel split phase. and another sub-panel 60amp two phase breaker supplying grid power to the inverters. Four 48V 100amp hour 3G4 batteries too. there are 8 400-watt panels feeding each inverter. The multi-meter reads 170 volts AC at the solar cable inputs on both inverters with the solar disconnected, even with the 60amp input breaker off. I double checked all the wires feeding into the inverters, no problems. The grounds to and from the inverters are good . I sent pictures to SS and am waiting for a response. Maybe someone has seen this before, and can help. My limited electrical ability is at a loss.

The DC solar lines on an non isolated system system are known to ride on the AC signal of the inverter during normal operation. And AC can couple through galvanic barriers (think transformer)

If you ground the conduit that will bleed off any induced voltage and current from the coupled AC.

I would consider 170Volts more than leakage.
With that much voltage I would recommend that any "new ground connections" attached to the system be done through a resistor first.
Why take a chance on blowing an expensive piece of equipment.
If you verify that the voltage drops signifcantly with a small amount of current through the resistor it's probably safe to ground the connection directly.

With that much voltage I would recommend that any "new ground connections" attached to the system be done through a resistor first.
Why take a chance on blowing an expensive piece of equipment.
If you verify that the voltage drops signifcantly with a small amount of current through the resistor it's probably safe to ground the connection directly.
This is not a bad idea but I'm pretty sure it's better (and possibly required by code/sanity sake) to solidly ground (no resistor) in the final config

If the 170VAC at the solar cable input is measured by ground to one/both of the DC conductors that's 100% believable and normal, right?

If the 170VAC is measured from ground to the ungrounded conduit that does feel kind of high for induced voltage.

Back