diy solar

diy solar

Acceptable voltage drop for inverter?

Lt.Dan

Solar Wizard
Hey guys, a quick an easy question for most of you probably. There is a 12000w inverter connected to a 51.2v LiFePO4 battery bank that is located roughly 15 feet away. Using 4/0 AWG cable, at 237a, there is a voltage drop of .88% (calculated). I'm pretty sure this follows the standard 3% voltage drop rule and is acceptable, but I didn't know if the same rule applied here.

Thanks guys.

A 48V 12kW inverter will be more like 294A (you didn't take into account the inverter conversion loss or trying to run the inverter when the battery is more like 48.0V). It would be even higher if you run the battery down to near 0% SOC (about 40.0V).

You should be fine with anything under 3% voltage drop, especially as the battery gets to its higher voltage.

you can use a meter to test,how much voltage on the battery terminal,and how much voltage on the inverter input terminal,then you will find the voltage drop

Your 4/0 cable has less than 1% voltage drop using a chart. Allow for a bit at the fuse and crimp connections, sounds like gold. Or even some could say over-kill. But too large a cable is better than too small.

That answers my question, if it still follows the 3% rule, I guess under 2% preferred, and under 1% is ideal.

Thanks guys.

Back