diy solar

diy solar

Adding an Inverter

jor_tucson

Since I got such a great response to my first question, thought I would try one more. My RV is a typical class C. It has a 55 amp converter compatible with my lithium batteries. I can plug it into a 30a outlet or run the generator or just use the solar and charge controller. Behind the converter is an automated transfer switch to differentiate between shore power or generator. It all works fine.

Now that I have lithium batteries I'd like to add an inverter but I can't figure out how to wire it so it can coordinate with the existing transfer switch. Do I need to rig up some kind of three way switch? Thanks.
jor

Assuming you want to stick with 12V:

ATS to inverter/charger input
inverter/charger output to AC panel
remove converter

Basically, you're just inserting the inverter/charger between the ATS and the AC panel.

If you want to go with 24/48V:

ATS to inverter/charger input
inverter/charger output to AC panel
Leave converter and 12V in place for 12V loads and 12V backup OR
install a 24 or 48V to 12V DC-DC converter capable of handling the highest surge 12V item.

Installing an inverter-only takes a little more thought as you don't want the inverter powering the converter charging the battery powering the inverter powering the converter charging the battery, etc. :)

I was planning on just getting an inverter and leaving the converter in place if possible. I bought the converter just a couple months back when I installed in lithiums. Should have gone with an inverter/charger. Anyhow, is there a clean wiring solution for leaving the converter in place? Thanks.
jor

I was planning on just getting an inverter and leaving the converter in place if possible. I bought the converter just a couple months back when I installed in lithiums. Should have gone with an inverter/charger. Anyhow, is there a clean wiring solution for leaving the converter in place? Thanks.
jor

If you exclude the converter's AC circuit from the inverter output, then you're fine; however, there may be other things on the converter circuit. If your converter simply plugs into an AC outlet, unplugging it would work fine. If it's in an inconvenient location, I like to use smart wi-fi plugs for remote on/off.

If there's a fuse/breaker for the converter, you can flip that off too.

Look at Victron’s Multiplus 12/2000 or 12/3000 (depending on how much battery you have and how big of a unit you want).

They are a bit more expensive, but they work great! They have an internal transfer switch so it can manage the incoming power, (you still need the shore/generator one).

They are designed for mobile applications (boats, RV’s etc) and how a low standby power useage (Very important). And they last - mine has been running 24/7 for last 3 years.

Good Luck

Look at Victron’s Multiplus 12/2000 or 12/3000 (depending on how much battery you have and how big of a unit you want).

They are a bit more expensive, but they work great! They have an internal transfer switch so it can manage the incoming power, (you still need the shore/generator one).

They are designed for mobile applications (boats, RV’s etc) and how a low standby power useage (Very important). And they last - mine has been running 24/7 for last 3 years.

Good Luck

Multiplus are also parallel stackable in case the person decides they need more amps capacity later, which I think is a plus, making staying at 12v more practical in RV applications needing more than 3000w..

Thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer in what I'm trying to do. The rig has five 120v ac outlets which are powered through a single gfci breaker.

If you exclude the converter's AC circuit from the inverter output, then you're fine
There is a breaker on the ac distribution panel for the converter but I was looking for a way to power those five outlets with an inverter without having to switch off the converter every time I want to use the inverter.

Look at Victron’s Multiplus 12/2000 or 12/3000
The Victron, I'm afraid, is too expensive for me. I was hoping to be able to pick up a cheap 1500 or 2000 watt inverter and somehow integrate it into my system.
jor

Attachments

• distribution panel.jpeg
    distribution panel.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
There is a breaker on the ac distribution panel for the converter but I was looking for a way to power those five outlets with an inverter without having to switch off the converter every time I want to use the inverter.

the issue is that your converter is powered by AC. If the inverter is providing the AC power, you have to make provisions to not create a deadly inefficiency loop and prove there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine.

you have to make provisions to not create a deadly inefficiency loop and prove there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine.

Yea. I'll probably just switch off the converter when using the inverter. In a way, my issue is moot in that I have not used the converter at all since installing solar.

Wait a minute! There's no such thing as a perpetual motion machine!!!!
jor

Back