diy solar

diy solar

Adding solar to existing battery backup, have some grounding questions

DIYatt

Hello, I am planning on adding a small array to my existing battery storage system. The existing system consists of a Conext XW 6848 Pro and a 48v battery bank. It charges from the grid and outputs to a critical loads panel. The idea behind it was to be able to run the well pump, boiler, and fridge circuits during a power outage. It handles this well enough for about a day, but we've had a few longer outages. I want to add some solar to let us charge during power outages and maybe use a bit less grid power at other times, basically the "Self-Consumption" setup Schneider shows on their website. I do not want to sell back to the grid.

The attached diagram shows the existing wiring of the inverter and what I'm planning to add. There will be an MPPT 60 150 next to the inverter, a box just outside the basement wall where the wires enter and I'll put an SPD, then an MNPV3 out at the panels with another SPD on that end. The panel frames will all be tied together and to a ground rod out there.

Does this look right?

Also, the MPPT 60 150 has a PV-GFP fuse and jumper. I'm not sure what to do here. This seems to tie the PV- and BAT- to ground. In the current setup the BAT- is not tied to ground. The documentation says to remove/disable this "where an external battery negative-ground bond is required, or where a positive grounded battery, or where the PV array must not be grounded". It sounds like since the array is grounded, that I leave this enabled? I just wasn't sure about the BAT- being tied to ground.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Solar Wiring Diagram.png

Back