diy solar

diy solar

Portable solar -> grounding plug to house possible?

Arv123

I recently bought 4x 400w panels for cheap to recharge a battery during power outages. The plan is to only use these panels when needing to recharge the system off grid. I have read countless grounding posts about ground rods but is it possible to take the attach a ground wire to the series of panels and then connect the wire to a Leviton 3W101-E 2-Pole, 3 Wire Grounding plug followed by plugging into an outdoor outlet?( yes, only the ground would be connected). my thought is that this would tie into the common ground of the house, avoid needing to put a grounding rod and enable me to quickly move the panels to different areas of the property to maximize the output.

Is this crazy/doable?

For a portable (temporary) array, I wouldn't bother with grounding the PV frames aside from grounding them to any trailer or other transport mechanism if used.

I suspect very few of the above ground their PV frames.

I assume you're going to have the other things you need besides battery and panels... charge controller(s) and inverter...

Correct me if I'm wrong, don't some of the AIO units have their chassis bonded to the AC input ground?

If that were the case, wouldn't it be possible to ground the panel frames to the AIO chassis, then whenever you're using the system, simply plug in the AC input for your unit. Same result, but is less complicated. Smarter people than me can tell you if I'm totally wrong about the chassis grounding.

That said, I agree with sunshine_eggo, for temporary use I don't know if I would go out of my way to ground them.

thanks for the replies!
Sunshine_eggo, I just plan to wheel them out and put them at an angle using a nonmetallic sawhorse. Q: won’t these panels be subject to the same grounding concerns as non portable systems? That what is confusing about all the posts, vids on this subject.

@dagoth, I will be using a Ecoflow delta ultra which will be plugged into a transfer switch. This should ground the generator. There is a ground screw on the system but it up to 150 ft from the panels. That’s why I was considering making a ground plug as an option.

@dagoth, I will be using a Ecoflow delta ultra which will be plugged into a transfer switch. This should ground the generator. There is a ground screw on the system but it up to 150 ft from the panels. That’s why I was considering making a ground plug as an option.
I see- I initially assumed with this being temporary use that the panels and AIO were right beside each other.

I think I'd defer to what sunshine_eggo said and say that if it's temporary, it really might not be worth the hassle of grounding these.

Back