diy solar

diy solar

AGM BATTERIES what would you do?

Deep cycle batteries CAN be cycled down low but if you are cycling that low on a regular basis you have a poorly designed system.

Yes that's true in a way, but not everyone can have the perfect system. Most of us have to make do with what we've got ?

According to renogy's datasheet using these batteries you get over DOUBLE the total lifespan when you do 30%dod cycles instead of 100%dod..

Maybe not... According to renogy's datasheet sheet:

30%dod, 1450 cycles , 1,008,000wh lifetime capacity (1008kwh) - equivalent of 420 cycles

100%dod , 300 cycles 720,000wh lifetime capacity (720kwh)

40% increase in lifetime capacity, 30%dod Vs 100%dod

AGM;The good. They like being at a high state of charge (excellent standby battery) The bad. Keeping them at a low state of charge will kill them (charge them ASAP).

Do you know anybody who drains their batteries 100%? Most the off grid people I live around don't go much below 30 % dod.
In reality, as the builders of our systems, we ourselves manage our batteries quite well. It's the guests that don't understand what being off-grid means that can destroy a system. The mentality is "Oh cool, free electricity", and if unsupervised drain every single watt.

I even have to remind the wife. Honey, please wait till after the sun rises to start that load of laundry.

With them being second hand , if he got them really cheap it might well be worth while using as apposed to grid power
They are one year old, but we're never officially "used", just voltage maintained with a couple solar panels. The batteries were never connected to anything at all other than panels to keep voltage topped. The project went a different direction and so here I am, 4 agm's waiting to be used for something.
I want to use them for whatever I can without spending a ton of cash. Ultimate intention is just for grid down basic power. Basic power for what is the question...what could they accomplish if the right pieces were added to make it all come together for a ""cheap"" solar kit.

With them being second hand , if he got them really cheap it might well be worth while using as apposed to grid power
They are a couple yr old, but were never officially "used", just voltage maintained with a couple solar panels. The batteries were never connected to anything at all other than panels to keep voltage topped. The project went a different direction and so here I am, 4 agm's waiting to be used for something.
I want to use them for whatever I can without spending a ton of cash. Ultimate intention is just for grid down basic power. Basic power for what is the question...what could they accomplish if the right pieces were added to make it all come together for a ""cheap"" solar kit.

Last edited:
Back