diy solar

diy solar

AIMS Inverter/charger/transfer switch question

stu

I installed a AIMS 2500w Inverter/charger/transfer switch unit in my RV and it blew the 250amp bolt on fuse I had on my new Fortune 100ah lithium battery. I was connected to shore power and running the AC and it had been running for about an hour before it blew. I thought that was odd since the only thing that should have been going into the battery was around 50amp from the charger. It is a 85amp charger but I have it turned down since I only have a 100ah lithium battery bank. So, 50amps is far from 250amps. I thought maybe I had a bad fuse so I replaced it and it blew again within an hour. Then I thought maybe the AIMS transfer switch was not recognizing the shore power and was trying to run my AC unit via the inverter. I couldn't test this since that was my last spare fuse. Also FYI I did have my Progressive Industries surge protector on the shore power pedestal and that was reading all good. So, I called AIMS and the tech said to just up the fuse to 300 amp. Wait, that does not sound right. Why is the unit pulling or pushing that many apps to/from the battery in the first place? The tech refused to address that and just keep saying up the fuse size, that I would be fine then. Am I missing something? Thanks all

I'm at a loss.

Suggest you get a DC clamp meter, replace fuse and measure the actual current through the cable. Also, check all connections especially those involved with the fuse/fuse holder.

Reactions: stu
BTW 2500 watts * 1.15 conversion factor / 12 volts low cut off * 1.25 fuse headroom = 299.479166667 fuse amps.

So a 300 amp fuse and 2/0 awg cable is indicated.

But popping on charge only is not good.
I ask again what exact fuse are you using?

This is the fuse that I installed https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079ZK1GYL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I used 3/0 wire since that is what I had in the shop. Also the run from the unit to the battery is 12". thanks for your input
Windy Nation has a name so maybe its ok.
The only fuses I trust from from Bussman or Littelfuse.
I recommend a 300 amp mrbf fuse like this
put it in this https://www.waytekwire.com/item/45575/EATON-s-Bussmann-Series-MRBF-Mounting-Bar-/

To update all on what happened, I called AIMS and got a different tech and he said it was because I had old capacitors on my AC unit. that still made no sense to me since I was connected to shore power and the transfer switch on the unit should have just passed that power directly through. So, I turned the AC unit off so as to not blow yet another 250 amp fuse and 30 min later it blew again. Are you kidding me, all I had running was the refrigerator. I ended up returning the AIMS for a full refund and bought a separate automatic transfer switch and inverter.

What is the DC voltage of your system? Those Bussman fuses are good for 56 volts. I susequently read the specs on those ANL fuses and they say they are good for 72 volts. I always thought they were only for 12 volts. Sorry about the detour. Hopefully changing out the inverter solved the problem?

Last edited:
To update all on what happened, I called AIMS and got a different tech and he said it was because I had old capacitors on my AC unit. that still made no sense to me since I was connected to shore power and the transfer switch on the unit should have just passed that power directly through. So, I turned the AC unit off so as to not blow yet another 250 amp fuse and 30 min later it blew again. Are you kidding me, all I had running was the refrigerator. I ended up returning the AIMS for a full refund and bought a separate automatic transfer switch and inverter.

Did that solve the problem?

I
What is the DC voltage of your system? Those Bussman fuses are good for 56 volts. I susequently read the specs on those ANL fuses and they say they are good for 72 volts. I always thought they were only for 12 volts. Sorry about the detour. Hopefully changing out the inverter solved the problem?
It is a 12V system.

Back