diy solar

diy solar

Air gap mounting for flexible panels

BobR

Solar Enthusiast
Has anyone have experience / opinions on how to provide an air gap under flexible panels to allow for air flow to underside of panels for cooling.

This is for an installation where weight is an issue so flexible panels are required.

I can't track it down from here but I saw a youtube video where a guy used 1/4" aluminum c-channel and corrugated plastic to make backing with air channels underneath.

Has anyone have experience / opinions on how to provide an air gap under flexible panels to allow for air flow to underside of panels for cooling.

This is for an installation where weight is an issue so flexible panels are required.
Check out RV with Tito on YouTube. He has a couple videos on just this. Watch both his 2019 and 2021 versions to get some ideas.

Not sure exactly how much this helps but it certainly can’t hurt. Tip: don’t use locktite like he did in the 2019 version. Use locking washers and or jam two nuts together like in the 2021 version.

I've seen people glue down Coroplast sheet, then glue the solar panels to it. Coroplast allows air flow underneath.

Check out RV with Tito on YouTube. He has a couple videos on just this. Watch both his 2019 and 2021 versions to get some ideas.

Not sure exactly how much this helps but it certainly can’t hurt. Tip: don’t use locktite like he did in the 2019 version. Use locking washers and or jam two nuts together like in the 2021 version.
Thanks for your replies everyone.

Tito's method is nice and clean looking.
I wonder how much difference there is in heat dissipation.

I am looking for a way to mount that helps with heat dissipation and holds the panels rigid.
I think I will get some corrugated plastic like 'Tito' did and make a test panel with and without the plastic corrugated sheet to measure temperature differences.

Let us know what you find, I've got a project coming up in the future that is going to be using flexible panels on a pop-up camper and weight is a concern.

Back